I hate Panasonic. Please Read Before Considering the RP-HJE50 or RP-HJE70
Nov 5, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Turbo7MN

Head-Fier
Most of you guys probably never heard the story of why I switched from the HJE50 to the HJE70. The wires on the left side inside the yoke became seperated, and you had to wiggle the cable to get sound out of the left side.

When I got the HJE70, the yoke was much thicker and sturdier feeling, so I wasn't concerned about it. Well, four months later, the same thing happened with these as the HJE50. This leads me to believe that there is some inherent problem with Panasonic's manufacturing process.

Both of them sound great for the price, but I am disgusted with Panasonic's build quality. I didn't spend over $100 for earbuds to have them break after not even four months of use. I'm going to grab another set of HJE50s off of ebay that will hopefully last me until the new Audio Technica IEM (CK7?) comes out.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
who are you?

no kidding..WHAT THE...Panasonic? ...headphone? oh..boy..people with too much money to waste

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 17
to each his own. i have a panasonic pcdp that has lasted over 12 years. it just recently broke down. it took me 20 minutes and no $ to get it going again. i happen to love panasonic, sony and pretty much any japanese product. panasonics overall quality is known to be very good. maybe you were too rough on them or just got two duds in a row. happens sometimes.

music_man.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Hmmmm.... My hje50 has lasted me the last 6 months. But I also wouldn't highly recommend it because of its odd design.

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Wow you guys are being rough on the original poster - this is supposed to be a community forum.
Sure not everyone considers expensive panasonic earbud headphones, but for those who are, this thread is just a search away. Thanks for the info, OP.
I personally have looked for better earbuds myself, but being used to fullsized cans, I can't help feeling that I'll be disappointed with everything I buy. I havent been able to acclimate myself to the two IEMs I've tried so far because of comfort and microphonics issues (do ALL iems cause that strange echo effect if you try eating or drinking while listening?), and earbuds seems a more natural fit for me. Audiocubes has some interesting import options (including the Panasonics), but I've decided to try another pair of IEMs as my next purchase, once I figure out which ones are the most comfortable while still retaining a good sonic signature.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 17
well, let us know how your next pair holds up, and try to be nice to them
rolleyes.gif
That being said, what do you think of their sound? Would you mind comparing the 2 models? I'm extremely new to the IEM world (I've had er6i for 2 days) and am very curious as to how these sound

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 17
I actually was not rough on these at all. I did stuff the HJE50s in my bag a few times but after they broke I took nothing but the best care of all my audio stuff from then on.

The sound quality on the HJE70 is the best I've heard out of any earbud/IEM, although I haven't had a chance to compare them to the high-end stuff like the Shure E4. What I like about them is how balanced and detailed they are, but are still reasonably priced. If you really want to find a fault with the sound quality, the treble may be a little harsh. Up until yesterday, it was $100 very well spent. The HJE50 is also great for the price. You can get them for $20-$25 and if you just want something cheap they are defenitely the way to go.

I haven't gave up completely on either of them. I'm going to try cutting up the wires and soldering up my own yoke. I'll try it on the HJE50s first jst because they are more expendable, but if it works I'll give it a shot with the HJE70 as well. Wish me luck.

-Darren

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Be thankful your panasonics lasted that long lol
tongue.gif
The wires on my Sony EX-71s broke after 3 weeks
very_evil_smiley.gif
And yes, they weren't ill-treated. Boy, was I miffed.

I got so fed up of having to replace cheap buds constantly that I just bit the bullet and got an Ety-4P. 6 months and still in perfect condition heh.

If i had continued replacing the EX-71s monthly, the cost would have been the same as an Ety-4 after 5 months lol.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg
Be thankful your panasonics lasted that long lol
tongue.gif
The wires on my Sony EX-71s broke after 3 weeks
very_evil_smiley.gif
And yes, they weren't ill-treated. Boy, was I miffed.

I'm not sure we had the same problem with EX-71/EX-81, but the insulation started actually peeling off the cables. This is a far different story than the RP-HJE70, which have very thin cables, but the insulation is of good quality (and I really like the SQ also). If you're rough on them, I'm sure they'll break; I was not rough on my EX-81s and the insulation fell off!

We represent a very tiny source of revenue for any IEM manufacturer, so it might be difficult for Panasonic, Sony or whoever to realize that build quality is a significant buying criteria. If you can make it to CES, go visit some booths and bring your samples! Finally, as you stated, if you want significantly better cable build quality now, get an expensive IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back