I hate not being able to make a decision... (GS1k vs. HD650)
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 27
dt880 is half-closed
... is half-open the same as half-closed? then you could say it's open just as easy
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 27
Blah I guess I could just get some Beyerdyanmics, and have them sent to headphile for a recable right away.

If I get a balanced recable, I should get male plugs right? Most outputs from headphone amps are female?

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 27
was just joking about the open part, not trying to force the dt880 on you... just trying to say you can't really tell the sound just from the 'open/closed' part of the headphone.
260 is not that bad? and I'd wait with the recable until the rest of the system is up to it, these improvements are far more subtle than better equipment. unless you go balanced right away ofcourse then you have to, but I think it's a bit difficult in the price range.

if you want to go balanced, why not stick to the plan and get the hd650's (first...), you can use them right away with the normal cable, upgrade when needed without sending them away and then just order the balanced cable.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #20 of 27
well fryguy, ive compared the RS-1 to the GS1000 and i must say, i much prefer the gs1000. Definately not "grado sounding" for a grado. The RS-1 in comparision lacks the imaging and resolution of the GS1000. The GS1000 is definately awesome for low level listening.

The GS1000 seems to have less of a "glazed" over signature compared to the RS-1s in my opinion. However they seem to be less "immediate" sounding. Definately not as in your face as the RS-1s. If you're looking for a "little less" highs then your current grados, im not too sure about the GS1000s. I know i did not hear them on a really high end amp but they did have quite piercing highs when played louder. The GS1000s have great bass, better than the hd650 in my view, as i found their bass to be a little muddy and lacking speed.

Never heard an hd650 balanced through a really high end rig, so no comments on that.

I would definately audition the GS1000 before you purchase especially considering the price.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 27
Have you considered the AD2000? It's colored, bright presentation, great speed and ease of drive makes it somewhat similar to the Grados, only with a massive soundstage and less bass. I think it might be more suitable for you than the HD650.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 27
Just going to throw in another "Phone" in the discussion.

GS1000 + amp = Big $$
HD650 + amp(ballanced) = Big $$

Theres also Stax to consider. A SRS-4040 II system has great resoluton/speed, great soundstage and sounds great at low volumes.
And all of this, at the same price as the two other alternatives.
Yes, it is not easy
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #23 of 27
My "eventual" price range is probably much higher than people are giving me credit for.

As for Stax, I hate electrostatics. Every electrostatic I've ever heard sounded dull, lifeless and sterile (various magnepans and martin logans, never headphones).

At this point I'm STRONGLY leaning towards HD650 + start to build out the rest of the system. I'm pretty sure I'm completely bitten by the bug and am going to end up buying everything anyway, so it's just a matter of where to start I guess. The HD650s also have pretty solid retail, especially in relation to what I'll be purchasing them for, so I should be OK if I want to get rid of them down the road.

o2smile.gif

::runs and orders before he changes his mind::

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a better source in the first place. The GS1000 won't be what you want it to be without better source/amp.
The same goes for HD650, but they leave you with more funds to improve source/amp.
From that perspective the HD650 would be the logical choice I think.

Exactly what I was thinking
600smile.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #25 of 27
Reading your wish list my thoughts were DT880 also. More Grado class then HD650, instrumental separation, quick dynamics, clarity, and ultra-open sound stage are top notch. Maybe a bit too airy for you. Suggest to take them for a good test drive.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 27
Well, I just bought HD650s. I figured I'm going to eventually buy them anyway, because I see myself with a full balanced multi-thousand dollar signal path in the future, something the HD650s will excel with, so they are probably worthwhile to have.

Now it's whether or not I just want to go ahead and purchase DT880s too right now, and then spend a couple of weeks with both of them and sell whichever one I don't like.

I'm a little bit worried about making that judgement with my current signal path though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back