I hate it when I try to buy music and it's restricted from "this territory"
Feb 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier
I love using djdownload.com and beatport.com but when I try to buy a few of my favorite songs, they can't be bought because it's territory restricted.

Quote:

A lot of our employees are DJs from all ends of the spectrum- from basement DJs, to club residents, to DJs who have toured all over the world. Even our CEO Jonas Tempel holds a residency on Saturday nights at Beta, and regularly tours with Bad Boy Bill. And those of us who don't fall into the DJ category are at the very least, electronic music aficionados. So we all know how frustrating it can be to listen to a track that you absolutely love, only to find out that it's not available in your territory.

As many of you may already know, these restrictions have always been around, but were just not as noticeable as they are today. For example, in the past when you went into a record store to buy your music you only had access to what the distributors were allowed to sell. Similarly, the agreements that we have made with our labels can limit the areas where a release may be sold if it is already available by another, more prominent label in those regions. Release dates can vary from label to label as well. Some releases that are available in all territories may not be available everywhere at the same time. In fact, a lot of the limitations that we deal with now are still based on standards that were set by physical distribution. We are working hard to change some of these outdated practices, however, we always try to keep in mind and respect the fact that our labels are trusting us with their most valuable asset.

At the end of the day we are all here for the music, and we would love to see worldwide rights on all tracks. Until that is possible, we feel that keeping a more extensive label catalog brings us one step closer to reaching our goal. For the time being, we recommend looking for territory restricted tracks under the "ALL" search function. Sometimes the tracks will share rights with another label which is available in your region.

Makes options to get my songs very limiting.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it makes your options go download it illegally, the music industry is so backward its ridiculous

Well I wasn't going to say THAT. What sucks is that I can't find the 8 min mixes or remixes of these songs when looking at the usual places.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 15
If only I knew how.
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 15
google "proxy server" or "neutral proxy"... setup, using ie.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 15
if Buying music was as easy as downloading torrents... music industry wud have flourished so much today.

sux that they couldnt take advantage of such amazing technology.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, its really annoying!
No wonders the illegal P2P networks run so strong. If only the record companies made their products easier available worldwide, and in full CD quality.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 15
Well the gaming industry is equally, if not even more annoying. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing games released in Japan and North America months ahead of us here, and sometimes not at all. And if they do, they tend to cost way way more.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 15
the problem is that such industries are being run by morons as marketing managers..who have no idea about IT....they shud bring in young people who fit the profile of Shawn Fanning for managing web based business

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no DRM in this stuff. It's just restricted from being sold to wherever you live.

Yeah, I know. I was just mentioning the other dark side of the moon.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 15
couldnt they let u download any content and charge u in the ISP monthly bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back