I Hate Etymotics- Please Help
Jan 23, 2015 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
Actually, I don't.

I love the fast, punchy sound.

I love the fast bass.

But I hate the ergonomics of Etymotic ear tips- they're too invasive and pick up too much ear wax.

Would appreciate any suggestions for earphones that have:
  1. a fast, punchy sound
  2. single-flange silicone ear tips

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I recommend trying shure olive tips or westone star tips with etys. I used them with Shure olives, and the comfort was much much better. You can also cut off the third stem of the triple flange tip of ety, and that improves the comfort insanely.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 11
  I recommend trying shure olive tips or westone star tips with etys. I used them with Shure olives, and the comfort was much much better. You can also cut off the third stem of the triple flange tip of ety, and that improves the comfort insanely.

!

So you've tried them?

You can confirm that the flanges fit over the Etymotic nozzles?

Sorry, but I have to ask these questions before I order them.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 11

!

So you've tried them?

Yup. They fit with MC5, HF5, and the ER4 series(at least the Shure olives do, and the startips have the save nozzle size as olives). They are much more comfy.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 11

!

So you've tried them?

Yup. They fit with MC5, HF5, and the ER4 series(at least the Shure olives do, and the startips have the save nozzle size as olives). They are much more comfy.

OK, right after I posted my question, I did a search and of course I got like 1M hits corroborating what you said.

I'll order some of the tips you referred to.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Me too. I also like the Comply tips, but you need to change them too often and it gets expensive. The Shure black foam olives are comfortable, sound good and last much longer.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Just now got around to looking into this.

I found a sampler pack of the Westone tips for a really reasonable price. Yay!

And.... I couldn't find any equivalent from Shure on either Amazon or on Shure's site.

It Shure looks like those guys are Shure are lookin' to get paid. Nyuk, nyuk.

So now my questions are:
  1. Do you know where I could find a pack of all sizes of the Shure ear tips for <$25? I just want to find out what my size is with them.
  2. Do you have any more suggestions for single-flange silicone tips that'll fit my Etymotics?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 11
The link you posted showed that you could choose an option that has single flange silicon tips in the pack, in addition to the foam ones. Those should fit the Etymotics just fine, since they fit the Shures just fine. 

I don't know where you could get the full set of Shures though. 

Kevin K

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 11
  Just now got around to looking into this.

I found a sampler pack of the Westone tips for a really reasonable price. Yay!

Got 'em, they're a nice, tight fit over the driver nozzles of my HF5's.

Pleased enough with the product and its value that the image thereof will temporarily represent my Authentic Self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back