I Hate Buying Headphones Without Listening First, but...
Jul 13, 2006 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I wish I could have found someway to hear the cans I was looking for, but the only opportunity is in 2 weeks or more, and that’s too long of a wait. I'll have to put my thoughts down and have the more experienced ears guide my way
plainface.gif

First and Foremost is budget. I'd like to keep the headphones ~$200. I already have a Headfive as an amp, and a decent CD player, so I'm looking to complete my rig.

Music
I listen to a wide variety of music. Instead of trying to define the genres and subgenres, I'll just list the bands I listen to fairly regularly

Anthony Hamilton, Radiohead, Dream Theatre, Talib Kweli, Weezer, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Fionna Apple, Of A Revolution (OAR), Guster, Cake, Ike Reilly Assassination (IRA), John Legend, Kanye, Common, Michael Jackson, Super Furry Animals, Verve Remixed

Sound Signatures I've Experienced
- Sennheiser HD570 - If all Senn Phones are veiled like this, then I want nothing to do with them. I liked nothing about these.
- Sony V6 - Bass is good, Mids OK, Highs Harsh. Quite good for a transportable
- Ety ER6 - Didn't feel safe walking around with canal phones, but the bass was weak, and highs felt exposed.
- Sony CD780 - Very similar to my Sony V6's with slightly less Bass, less harsh Highs, and way more comfort.

I'm currently leaning towards Beyer DT770/80, or Beyer DT990.

Beyer DT770/80 or DT990's seem to be well reviewed for the type of music I'm interested in, but I don’t know much about their "sound signature". How would it compare to any of the headphones I've heard?

Other ideas were a pair of used Darth Beyers, Grado SR225s, Alesandro MS1s, Sony SA3000, or AT A900.

Any information that could help my decision would be appreciated. Also, If you've only heard one headphone, don't listen to music similar to mine, and are too young to know what Rocko's Modern Life is (too old to recognize it is OK
evil_smiley.gif
), please don't chime in with a post count boost 1 liner.

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 6
The Beyer 990 and 770 are good choices if you get the '05 models. You can get them in 32ohm variety if you use a portable often. The Grado, AT and Sony don't really fit the bill though.

Jul 13, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 6
The best DT770 is the DT770 Pro 80. And it's a very good headphone, but it has a distinct sound -- well defined but pronounced bass, a slightly recessed midrange, and clean highs. In the 2005/6 versions, the bass is slightly less pronounced, but the highs are a bit bright for my tastes. But they are a very good can nonetheless. Super Furry Animals and Fiona Apple sound wonderful to me on these headphones.

The pre-2005 DT990 are similar sonically to the DT770, but are 250 ohm, and need an amp.

The 2005/6 DT990 are probably wonderful but they are out of your price range.

The Darth Beyers are the way to go if you can afford them (used they would still be $300 + I'd think) -- still powerful but very well defined bass, fairly smooth mids and very clean treble. A really wonderful can.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 6
The DT770's would be much better for the general user. But one never knows how ones ear will take to a particular headphone. You might just prefer the Sony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
Can anyone compare the DT770/80 to the Sony V6/7506?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back