I had a rib out of place!
Dec 11, 2006 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
Yup, that's true. I came back from the doctor a few hours ago and it seems I had one rib on the left side of the chest out of place.

I've been doing some phisical intensive work lately in my current job and started to have some pain in the neck and left shoulder areas. I didn't pay much attention since I was doing some phisical demanding tasks so I figured it was just fatigue. But one and a half days ago I started to have pain when breathing deeply and it really scared me. Breathing difficulty is a sign something is definitely not right with one's body.

I went to a osteopath and after a brief observation she told me I had a rib out of place and a blocked vertebrae(because of the misplaced rib). It seems that it is not so difficult ofr this to happen. She put it back into place in 5 minutes, quite amazing IMO. Now I can't work for two days and must stay at home. THis really sucks since I had to finish this job this week.

So here I am sitting, with the leftside of the upper body hurting because of muscular swell and bone tension. The doctor told me that it will probably hurt for another day or two, and that I should take some painkillers but I don't really like those things. I think I will listen to some music and try to relax... instead of taking painkillers.

Thanks for reading.

Manuel

Dec 11, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 11
I had the same thing happen to me on my back just to the inside of my right shoulder blade. It hurt terribly. I think I did it shoveling snow. I let it go for a month or so thinking that it would get better itself. It only got worse.

I had no idea it was a rib out of place. I went to a "non-force" chiropractor who used some kind of percussive device to gently pop it back in place.

It did the trick nicely, and as you say it took a couple days for the pain to go away.

I had never heard of this happening before it happened to me.

Dec 11, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 11
Hmm that stinks. I agree about painkillers. Your mind has it's own pharmacy it can release if necessary.

Well, I guess the person you were doing the job for should understand.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't understand why painkillers could possibly be bad or why people hesitate to take them. Ibuprophen, for example, is a harmless blood thinner. It releives pain and if anything helps you heal faster thanks to the increased bloodflow.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why painkillers could possibly be bad or why people hesitate to take them. Ibuprophen, for example, is a harmless blood thinner. It releives pain and if anything helps you heal faster thanks to the increased bloodflow.

Painkillers can give you the false impression that you are better, when in fact you may need more time to recover.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 11
I understand that some painkillers are pretty harmless but I tend to only use them when really needed. I prefer to usstain some mild pain for a few hours and try other methods, such as a hot water ruberbag and some sort of herbal infusion then to use chemicals as starter.

THIs is something I enherited for my grandmother, she always has different tea or recice for each problem. Very nice and most of them actually work.

*Goes to the kitchen to prepare some more tea*

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Painkillers can give you the false impression that you are better, when in fact you may need more time to recover.

But they also allow you to keep doing what you need to do with a vastly reduced risk of re-injury.

For certain muscular injuries this is especially helpful because it lets you get back to working/playing and allows you to strengthening the muscles around the damaged one without worry about aggravating it. This is after rest and rehab of course. Popping a couple ibu won't make you healthy again, but once you're on the road to recovery it can certainly help things.

Not to mention the fact that it's good for keeping down swelling directly after an injury.

Anyway, if Head-Fi had a "Team Ibuprofen" I'd join it for sure.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back