I got two questions about the AKG K550's
Mar 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KingOfTheWild

Formerly known as kingalekay.
Hello, I have a quick question about the AKG K550's . . . how stable are these? I saw online somewhere (can't remember where) that they aren't really stable. Also, what is the sound signature on these? One last thing . . . It would be much appreciated if someone could include a FR graph in their post.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 12

=3571]

Sound signature is very balanced and quite flat - do not expect big bass response, yet alone any sub bass.
 That said they're only rivaled by the T70p and T5p for a very, quick, detailed presentation with very ample
 soundstage for a closed portable headphone. They lean towards a bright signature.

Stable? As in on a flat surface? They're meant to be flipped out flat in that case, not rested on their side.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you very much for your post Gwarmi . . . what I meant by asking if they are stable or not is if they stay on your head well and don't fall off easily. Also, one more thing . . . are these still fun to listen to? They aren't to analytical are they?

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 12
They stay on well. 

I've been listening to mine since Tuesday.  I don't find them to be overly analytical,
and I've been enjoying them a lot.  Significantly better than the last pair of closed AKG's
I had which were the K 271 MK II. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Very nice, very nice . . . now I just have to find a place to audition these in Alaska . . . if there is a place to.

Could only see them having 'fit' problem with a very long, yet narrow head - these do not offer much clamping
 for most heads. The overall design is very clever and they can be worn slightly forward to the brow or tilted
 back towards the crown.

It's just great to see a $300-ish portable headphone that is not bass emphasized getting a good run on
 Head-Fi 
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
 Could only see them having 'fit' problem with a very long, yet narrow head - these do not offer much clamping
 for most heads. The overall design is very clever and they can be worn slightly forward to the brow or tilted
 back towards the crown.

It's just great to see a $300-ish portable headphone that is not bass emphasized getting a good run on
 Head-Fi 
smile.gif

The clamping is not tight, but it's comfortable; the headphones feel securely in place.

And as you indicate, they're not bass emphasized but the bass is satisfying.
AKG's done a good job with these.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I really hate and I mean HATE how long the cord is on these headphones so would it be a good idea to use a cable management system like the cableyoyo or cableclip by bluelounge to shorten the length of the cord while traveling with these?

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 12
I really hate and I mean HATE how long the cord is on these headphones so would it be a good idea to use a cable management system like the cableyoyo or cableclip by bluelounge to shorten the length of the cord while traveling with these?

The Beyer t5p come with a cable twist thing... so maybe something like that?

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 12
I just think that the cord is too long and I don't want to have to tie up the cord or anything to get it to be shorter. Long cords turn me off cause I use headphones for portable use only (I'm not really a true audiophile, I just have a few audiophile like traits). Also, I have decided that I would just save up and eventually try to get the Beyerdynamic T 70 p headphones (If I like them that is). It's not that I think they are bad can's so if long cords don't concern you then go for them I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back