I got to listen to the Bose Triport headphones
Nov 6, 2002 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I visited the Chicago Bose store and took a listen to their Triport headphones. I found out that these use the exact same drivers as the Bose QuietComfort headphones. It's the exact same model except without the noise reduction circuitry. To my ears they sounded very clear on top with some solid bass. They reminded me of Audio Technica headphones in the sense that they are more cold sounding than warm. They are also very light and seem like they could break very easily. I would say that they are made more for lighter music and not really heavy Rock. They just don't have the slam for that. For $150 I think the Sony MDR-V6 is a much better headphone. The QuietComfort is way overpriced for $300 since they just add the noise reduction circuitry for another $150.

Nov 7, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Interesting that they are clear on top... that wasn't the impression I got from other posts, but yours seems pretty objective. Still overpriced I suppose when you've got the Grados, HD 497, V6s, etc., for way less, and you can maybe get some HD 580s or what-not at $150.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 8
I had a chance to listen to the Triports also, albeit at a Best Buy store. To be honest, and I know the Bose haters will jump all over me, I thought the sound was just fine. The are also extremely comfortable to wear. The isolation seemed pretty good (not at Sony V6 levels), considering a Best Buy isn't exactly a quiet environment.

The main issue with the Triports are they are very nice $50-60 headphones, not $150. I also found it odd that Bose did not put any specs on the phones on the packaging. Anyway, I'm not sure the people at Bose really get it when they price their products - the Bose name does not have the cachet it used to, and they would sell a hell of a lot more of these things if they priced it appropriately.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I got to hear these at a Bose outlet store in Lancaster, PA yesterday. I found the top end to be clear, even unusually and brilliantly clear with some music. The isolation and comfort were outstanding, I thought. The comfot was exceptional. The big problem for me was the bass. There was some kind of uneven-ness in the bass that sounded unnatural and seemed to obsure deep bass passages, even as it gave the sensation of deep bass and did not color the midrange. I think that was the trade-off for all of the other virtues of the phones, and a big trade-off it was. It struck me as "cheating" in a way. I think you're right, IMHO, a true contender at $50 or $60, which is no insult. At $150, well, no.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
I had a chance to listen to the Triports also, albeit at a Best Buy store. To be honest, and I know the Bose haters will jump all over me, I thought the sound was just fine. The are also extremely comfortable to wear. The isolation seemed pretty good (not at Sony V6 levels), considering a Best Buy isn't exactly a quiet environment.

The main issue with the Triports are they are very nice $50-60 headphones, not $150.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Back when I said the Triports didn't suck - and were ok - people seemed to think I was crazy: "Its Bose, it MUST suck". Glad I am not the only crazy person here
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Back when I said the Triports didn't suck - and were ok - people seemed to think I was crazy: "Its Bose, it MUST suck". Glad I am not the only crazy person here
biggrin.gif

I listened to them at mereidian hi-fi. They sounded pretty good with a amped source but pretty dead unamped- just something to think about...

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 8
I just Baught them, now im returning them
smily_headphones1.gif
, mind you, it not the quality, which i found... good, not great, but very good... that space between the driver and the ear does create an interesting auditorium like effect....
BUT they are SOOOOOO uncomfortable.. i mean the lower part of the can was riding my jaw (well not the jaw, but that connection point between the jaw and the skull)..... i swear my jaw felt numb after i watched a movie in them.. they are way too tight..
but the sound .. as i said, is 'different' and good

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 8
I think I tried them when I tried the HD 590s.. they were grey and not much to them? sort of "hollow" driver housings with the drivers at the verry back?

I didn't like them that well. At first I thought they were $20 phones based on their apearance, then I pu them on and thought maybe they were decent <$60 phones, not quite as laughable as I had thought they would be. But then I saw the actuall price and began laughing agan and went back to the 590s with a smile on my face. Who knows, maybe a better source would help them.. a lot.. But I liked the 590s a lot more in every catagory and I seem to remember that they cost less, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back