I got the skull crushers, not what i expected at all
Dec 25, 2004 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
Ive seen these around the net for about 4-5 months now and i was really curious as to how they worked. By looking at them my first thought was the little "Vibration" unit. My first idea was these use a motor with an off set weight and it spins when a heavy bass note hits to create bass some how. I wasnt sure how it would work i figured you would have to hold it to feel anything. When i found them on newegg.com for $15. i decided to get 2 pair and rip a set apart leave one stock. They really dont sound bad for the money and come with some neat stuff. This is a nice gift for $15. i should of got them alot earlier maybe people know some one that would like em. When i tried em out they really do have an over whelming vibration and can be to much on the max setting. With em about 1/4 the way on the sound about right. I asked my nephew to try em out this is who i planed to give em to. His CD player has no EQ settings and lacks bass, he thought they were cool. So i wrapped the second pair up for him.

When i opened em up the first thing i looked for was the motor, i didnt see anything. I figured a bunch of mechanical parts would fall out or somthign so i was careful. All i see is a speaker. I took the 3 screws off the back of the driver and hidden under that was a second driver. The first driver is the vibration thing. At first i couldnt tell what it was or how it worked. After i poped the grill off all it is is a little sub woofer. I guess the "Vibration" unit is a power amp, and it powers the woofers seperate from the main full range drivers. This is a cool little setup a better company should take this design a step further and pack it all into a big cup like the DT770 man those would thump. The vibration box can be packed into a smaller package and the controls put on the cups. If cordless can do it they can do this.

For $15. they came in a reall neat round plastic box that looks like a glass display case or somthing, a pleather pouch, an extension cable, a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor and a AA battery to get you going right out of the box. $15. i know my nephew will enjoy these. Now that i have a set open and a set still in the box he will have no idea....
lambda.gif

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 18
Can I ask you a question Mr. BowerR64? When you recieved the headphones and tried them on how did the bass feel?

...Was it like a OMGWTF!!!111!! lol l33t!! type of bass, or a AARRRGHGHGHGG my head is eXPLODiNG!!!111 type of bass? Please, do elaborate.

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 18
Those aren't the "legendary" Skull Crushers. When they first came out I almost bought a pair (I didn't know anything besides the sound of stock earbuds), and they look different than those.

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 18
They look the same to me. What is different? i dont see any difference other then the color and name on the cans. How do you know they arnt Aopen and the skull candy people renamed them after Aopen first released them? how do you know who was first?

Its 2 dynamic drivers in each cup. Thats the cool part, i figured there was some other lame gimic besides what these use. Its a 2 way system a full range driver and a sub/amp

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Read what the skullcandy unit says, "amplifier/subwoofer" thats exactly whats in the Aopen headphones.

Aopen HP-590

attachment.php

AOpen has developed a very unique feature with their HP-590 headphones, dubbed "Vibration Bass." Basically, this pair of headphones features a second 30mm "vibration" driver that is specially designed to translate low frequency sounds into vibrations. This is designed to add to the overall audio sensation by accenting bass with a tactile response. This feature is designed to be a major selling point of the headphones, adding a new dimension to the audio experience.

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 18
I ordered up a couple pairs to possibly use the bass drivers in some other cans, possibly K340's... Thanks for the pics
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 18
It would be cool to use a real power amp, run the stock drivers in your headphones on your good power amp, and run these little subs off of another one. I think the "vibration" unit has a crossover or somthing that not only amps the sound but it also cuts highs. Should i measure the ohms of the sub driver?

These are closed cans and the bass sounds good, Here is what they are doing. They are runing the woofer driver out of phase with the main driver, if you look at the pictures the woofer driver is runnign backwards its actualy pushing the sound outwards. The drivers are stacked magnet to magnet inside the cups. Since they are stacked the magnets in each driver are oposite poles.

I wonder if this is the future of headphones? using a 2 way setup like this. IMO this is a really good idea

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
They aren't the legendary candy skullcrushers without the skull facade and the logo, dude. That's what makes them what they are .

Didn't you know? It's all about the looks!
tongue.gif

But $80.?!? ill paint my own skulls on the side...

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 18
That's a link to the actual candy skullcrushers for $30. The link must have only worked on my machine due to cookies or somesuch. Anyways, just search for it at www.ebuyer.com

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 18
I'll agree that they sound good for $15, but there's no chance I'd ever pay £65 (what I paid for the real crushers) for the sound I got out of them. The vibration thing is just a gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back