I got the Phillips Fidelio X3 a couple of days ago... and I can't decide if I loathe them or if they're just ok.
Oct 2, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 8
X3 really got no following. I remember the X1 was popular back in the day and had some fun bass. The X2 also had a following for a while. The X3 I feel like no one really ever cared about or raved about, just didn't get any fan base.

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 8
X3 really got no following. I remember the X1 was popular back in the day and had some fun bass. The X2 also had a following for a while. The X3 I feel like no one really ever cared about or raved about, just didn't get any fan base.
So should I mail them back into the black abyss that is amazon and get a refund? I only did that once- Meze 99 Neo. Hated em.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 8
If you have the power, the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 OHM are a lot more fun. I had those and just nothing special stood out. The X2 was good when they came out. Get a nice used Hifiman HE5XX instead and you'll be a lot happier. Some good ones on eBay, or Hifiman open box or recertified. The HE400SE is nice if you can stand the bar headband (easier to drive too). Prices have tanked on the Sennheiser hd6xx used also.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 8
I've had the X3s for a few days. They are PENULTIMATE level trash. 0 out of 10. Arficial sound signature, crap bass, crap mids, crap highs. Hollow dissapointing lifeless sound with no body. Add to that that they REEK of volatile organic compounds and the earpads make my ears hotter than the surface of the sun. Absolute trash. Equally offensive to the ears as Meze 99 Neo which I also despised but with shittier materials. Phillips went from the masterpiece that was the 9500 to this god damn abomination/monstruosity of a headphone. Garbage. After handling the X3 I feel nauseated by the stench of VOCs and my hands feel clammy from whatever crap they're putting on the leather. I didn't realize it was possible to wish great misfortune upon an inanimate object but I'd be just as happy running these over in the car 20x as I would returning them for a refund. They say the best audio gear elicits an emotional response. This is eliciting a response from me- hatred.

The very premise of their industrial design is some brain-dead reasoning. "Let's make an open back fashion headphone"
"But you can't wear it on the bus because it's open back nobody will see it."
"... ... ... Let's make an open back fashion headphone"

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back