I got the grado 225 but not really all that impressed how about 325?
Dec 8, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stornn
Give them a week or so. Your ears will adapt and soon you will notice a world of difference- it happened to me.

This is true and also happened to me. Over time you "learn" the subtle improvements. Proper amping also helps these immensely.

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I think you all miss the point.

He knows someone in the band Cake.

Cool.

Since they had such a revolving door going on for awhile, it's possible we all know someone from the band Cake
biggrin.gif

Regardless, a great band...."Jolene" is one of my favorite tunes.

Dec 8, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #34 of 39
gsferrari said:
SR-225 is not a HUGE improvement over the SR-60. The other ones (SR-80/125) are just not worth buying IMO.

The differences are small but are significant to some people. Now - The SR-225 is less "on-the-edge" than the lower grados. You will not hear ANY grain on the edges of the notes. The grain is super obvious on the lower end grados and once you hear cleaner sound - it is hard to go back despite the fact that the SR-60 is amazing for the money.

Now - SR-325 is a definite improvement in terms of "emotive" quality. It looks nicer, has a more "honky" sound (more like sonic bloom than anything else) which is AWESOME to listen to when you are listening to vocals, instrumental etc.

However - without the right amp the treble can go out of control on the 325.

/QUOTE]

gsferrari-
Just bought the SR60's after auditioning the 60, 80, 225 and 325, and I agree with you on the assessment. I just couldn't go with the SR80-- too bright, harsh, etc. The 325's were alot better, but still a little "thin" sounding compared to the 60 and the 225. But for less than half the cost of the 225, the SR60 was just too good a deal to pass up.

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #35 of 39
I've listened very carefully to the 325 and the 225 in direct and immediate comparison (using a "Y" adapter with bothplugged in at the same time so I could swithc back and forth immediately). I compared the two for several hours. I really wanted to like the 325 better for some reason (probably because it costs more), but I didn't. The 325 has a bit more bass, but it just doesn't sound as "listenable". I really wish I could be more quantitative than that, but it's hard to do so. The 325 to me just didn't sound as real, it didn't sound as interesting, it didn't sound as alive. I just didn't care for it, and my son who has perfect hearing agreed with me. I didn't think the 325 had more treble than the 225 really, it's just that the 325's treble is perhaps a bit harsher. If you read this Board and others carefully, you'll see that the consensus is that the 225 is preferable to the 325.

But, having said that, the only real answer is your own ears. The ONLY thing that matters is what sounds best to you. So, try the 325s. If you like them better, then have at it!

By the way, I also own a pair of SR80s, and have to say that I don't think there is a large difference in sound between them and the 225s. They both sound great. The 80s sound more like the 225s than the 225s sound like the 325s.

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
gsferrari-
Just bought the SR60's after auditioning the 60, 80, 225 and 325, and I agree with you on the assessment. I just couldn't go with the SR80-- too bright, harsh, etc. The 325's were alot better, but still a little "thin" sounding compared to the 60 and the 225. But for less than half the cost of the 225, the SR60 was just too good a deal to pass up.

It is an awesome deal on an awesome headphone. Seriously - after all the headphones I have gone through...the SR-60 is still here...and it was here first. I fell in love with it after rsaavedra let me use his for a few days during a HeadFi meet. Matt (headfi member) gave me his SR-60's for two weeks and then I just had to have my own.

I have never felt this way about any other headphone...HD-650, CD-3000, RS-1, K1000...insert all the headphones you can think of...

Until I heard the HP-1
eek.gif

OMG OMG the HP1 is my dream realized...the same feelings that I had with the SR-60 are back. But I will NEVER sell the SR-60...its here for good...

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #37 of 39
It's like when I heard the MS-1 for the first time. The very first time my ears touched the God of Sound. Not even in the Oberlin Conservatory of Music Audio Library Listening Room did I hear something like this (they use NAD amps, Technics DJ turtables, some kind of Sony CD player I think, and V6/V7506 cans).

In fact when I returned to my old Alum haunts during Turkey weekend, I saw they still have the same setups. I was very tempted to ring up a few old Obies and get a class donation of some proper listening equipment in there lol.

But I digress. What's good for the goose ain't always good for the gander.

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #38 of 39
wow, thanks for all the great insight, i have still tried to give the 225 a chance, and the ms2 looks like it might be in the near future, i am going to try a amp first, and go from there. I really like the look of the ms2, and if it sounds as cool as it looks then it won't be all that hard to decide. But what drives me crazy is that the ms2 looks so much like 325s and i can find those all over the place, but the ms2 are so hard to find. Unless you get them brand new. Are they the same thing? makes me wonder, how different can they be. As for CAKE well lets just say the one member who is my friend happens to be the most obvious member who has never left or it wouldn't be the same. Think of maynard not in tool, or jagger not in the stones..

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord of volume
wow, thanks for all the great insight, i have still tried to give the 225 a chance, and the ms2 looks like it might be in the near future, i am going to try a amp first, and go from there. I really like the look of the ms2, and if it sounds as cool as it looks then it won't be all that hard to decide. But what drives me crazy is that the ms2 looks so much like 325s and i can find those all over the place, but the ms2 are so hard to find. Unless you get them brand new. Are they the same thing? makes me wonder, how different can they be. As for CAKE well lets just say the one member who is my friend happens to be the most obvious member who has never left or it wouldn't be the same. Think of maynard not in tool, or jagger not in the stones..

Oh yeah, well my friend makes really obscure noise albums!

Beat that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back