I got the Creative GigaWorks T20 Speakers for my Desktop
Dec 23, 2006 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

judgmentday

100+ Head-Fier
Creative has created a great PC speaker for under $100.00 is a great deal!
Out of the box I noticed a big centered image, good voices, great hights and tight bass. Never heard such a nice sound coming from little speakers. Except for the Thiel PCS http://thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/P...CS/pcsnws.html
But the Thiels cost $3,000.00 a pair.

I'm listening to a home made 500GB MP3 player on my computer.

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 19
I've actually been pretty interested in these; I need fairly cheap good sounding speakers for my PC. Anyone else got an opinion on them?

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 19
I've had them for several months. I was looking for 2.0 speakers for my pc - again no room for subwoofer. Managed to try out the bose and klipsch 2.0 speakers from the apple store. I heard that the sound quality of the bose degrades and that long term, people weren't too happy with them. The klipsch didn't sound right to me, I also noticed distortion and medium volume (but that could be the wear and tear of a display model). They also looked horrible IMO - not what I want to see on my desk. I had to chance to audition the JBL creatures, but I didn't like them. Took the gamble to purchase the creative gigaworks t20 based on a review and some pictures I saw. I have to say, I'm surprised by how good the sound quality is. They also look great. I have no problems recommending them. I bought a set for my sister for christmas, she loved them. Her friends heard them and went and got a set for themselves. The other speakers worth considering are the Aego 2.1 set (it's 2 mini satellites with a big subwoofer), a la bose style. From the research I'd done online, they seem to be rated highly. Trouble is availability (I believe their based in UK). Hope that helps.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Dec 23, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 19
I listened to these at Compusa with my ZVM connected. Its not bad sound for the money...extremely clear sound. However, i wish they came with a subwoofer...cause the bass is alittle more like mids hehe.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 19
I got me 3 pairs for my computers. One for my office desktop at work, one for my home computer and one for my laptop. I noticed that original CDs sound much better than any mp3. Also they may require a break-in period. (maybe 50 to 75 hrs.) I listen with the volume controls flat, it seems that this is the best sound that one gets.

I'm only like a foot away from them so I cannot listen too loud, maybe only like 15db to 30db. If I want more sound I'll listen to my home stereo.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 19
A few years back I bought Creative Inspire 6.1 6600 for $50 off eBay from the official Creative.Labs seller. It was a great deal and the sound is very impressive, get's a bit distorted from super high volume but, it does the job very well.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...24&product=465

I believe these are discontinued now but, their very good speakers.

I listen to these very loud too and like I said the sound gets a bit distorted but still sounds good.

I also bought a Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit PCI Sound Card that includes EAX Advanced HD and Supports 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 speakers. Compared to my old sound card this blows it away, the sound became way clearer especially with the EAX.

If your looking make sure your sound card is good, it will make a big difference.

Dec 24, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by judgmentday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got me 3 pairs for my computers. One for my office desktop at work, one for my home computer and one for my laptop. I noticed that original CDs sound much better than any mp3. Also they may require a break-in period. (maybe 50 to 75 hrs.) I listen with the volume controls flat, it seems that this is the best sound that one gets.

I'm only like a foot away from them so I cannot listen too loud, maybe only like 15db to 30db. If I want more sound I'll listen to my home stereo.

What do you mean by volume controls flat?
confused.gif

What are you MP3's encoded at. Perhaps you need to re-encode them.

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's dials for treble, bass and volume. I assume when they say flat, they're referring to the treble and bass dials.

Perhaps they don't, and are being ironic?
blink.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 19
Yes, this is what I mean:
Quote:

There's dials for treble, bass and volume. I assume when they say flat, they're referring to the treble and bass dials.

Quote:

What are you MP3's encoded at. Perhaps you need to re-encode them.

LAME 3.96.1 @ 256k, but even @ 320k they sound too sharp for me.
In another words, casual listening is ok, but not acceptable for serious listening. Ask any audiophile guy and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Listenging to MP3s, even with these speakers (they are more revealing expousing imperfections on the audio signal) I got a headache. I get the piercing ears feeling. I put a pressed CD or a Gold CD and things are worlds apart better. It seems like the refrigerator went off.
icon10.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 19
Wow. I can only really hear the difference in badly encoded stuff, or 128 and lower. At 192 and 256 I can't hear a difference even through my old lo fi Arcam and Mission. Perhaps I'll pick up these speakers, be a much neater setup.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Random bump
tongue.gif

Just picked these up today. I originally wanted to get the Aego 2.1 M's (different class), but having thought about it, I live in an apartment and the walls are thin - neighbours would not be happy, so I wanted something minus a sub
tongue.gif

Got them plugged into the Edirol > laptop via included mini-mini cable. It comes with an adapter so you can plug RCA in. I am curious what difference to sound would be made if I used a RCA~RCA cable

For the price (PC World online £45, collect in-store) (thank you £10 summer rebate) and sound, it is quite nice. I do have to say though, cranking the volume UP turns it into a different beast. Every quality of the sound just seems to go into a different level. Just so much more enjoyable. The sound is clear although the bass is a tad jumbled, so make use of that bass dial
wink.gif
Likewise with the treble for a less harsher sound

atm I have the Edirol and foobar volume turned up full and then the volume dial on the speakers at 10 o'clock. I do see what people say about low volume, but honestly I am happy with the volume, but then I have looked after my ears

The AC is a humongous square brick, so make sure you give that some ventilation. The blue power led is also off putting - a sure insect attractor
tongue.gif
Need to fix that up with some blu-tack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back