I got shoved into and dropped my ipod..
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
The screen shattered, or well there are shatterings on it
tongue_smile.gif
, and thats the only thing thats wrong. Will I have a free repair/new one? It's never been jailbroken

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 25
I bet that depends if it is insured in some way or not.
Cause I doubt Apple will repair it or give you a new one for free, considering that you dropped it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will I have a free repair/new one?

This would depend on a lot of things. Do you have a warranty? I dont think Apple is in the business of giving away free ipods to people who just drop them. If thats the case everyone with an older generation ipod would just drop it on purpose to get a brand new one.

How do you jail break an ipod???!

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jailbroken?

so u mean iphone then?

I am quite sure you can Jail Brake the iPod touch, allowing you to add 3rd. party applications and like.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jailbroken?

so u mean iphone then? well like any phone if u got it insured ull get a new one if not ull get nothing unless you want to pay for the screen to be fixed

How do you jail break an ipod???!

its an ipod touch. Jailbreak it the same way as you would on an iphone. Isn't there supposed to be a 1 year warranty on ALL electronics? If there are no water damages, miss use, abuse or accidental alteration? Getting acidently shoved into at the street are none of those

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

its an ipod touch. Jailbreak it the same way as you would on an iphone. Isn't there supposed to be a 1 year warranty on ALL electronics? If there are no water damages, miss use, abuse or accidental alteration? Getting acidently shoved into at the street are none of those

Problem is they can claim that you miss used it or abused it and then made this story up. Which they're likely to do because they don't want to replace it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 25
doh, yep never gave the touch a thought.

dropping it isnt really a warranty issue. dropping may be an accident but its not apples fault you dropped it, its not their manufacturing or product that was at fault it was you. sucky i know but they arent going to be under any responsibility to do anything about it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 25
Lets hope they're in a good mood then.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Isn't there supposed to be a 1 year warranty on ALL electronics? If there are no water damages, miss use, abuse or accidental alteration? Getting acidently shoved into at the street are none of those

Warranty are to cover manufacturing defects, or damage from normal use. Dropping to the ground (1 meter or more) is not normal use.
That is why you have the option of insuring the phone, in case you are unlucky to drop it, run over it, or like. Aka -> accidents.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warranty are to cover manufacturing defects, or damage from normal use. Dropping to the ground (1 meter or more) is not normal use.
That is why you have the option of insuring the phone, in case you are unlucky to drop it, run over it, or like. Aka -> accidents.

Theoreticly, theres no profit of insuring anything. Sooo.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 25
Yeah, dropping it, no matter what happened before, counts as accidental damage and won't be covered by Apple's warranty. I promise.

Some companies are nicer, though. My Maui Jim sunglasses ($250+ when I got them) bridge snapped in half when my girlfriend dropped them. I sent them in for repair, along with a note about what happened and a $55 check for the repair cost. They sent my sunglasses back fully repaired (they even put in new temples) a week later. Included in the box was a brand new Maui Jim designer microfiber cloth and my original check. They didn't charge anything for the repairs! My experience is that some companies are really great with warranties and repairs (e.g. Ultimate Ears used to be at least, Shure, Maui Jim, etc.) and others are terrible (e.g. Apple, Motorola, etc.)

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, dropping it, no matter what happened before, counts as accidental damage and won't be covered by Apple's warranty. I promise.

Indeed. You'd have the same luck if you spilled soda on it, and then tried to get it fixed/replaced under warranty.
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 25
If you paid for it with a credit card, sometimes they automatically warranty anything purchased with the card. Check your CC's features. Otherwise, it's warranty is basically just for anything to do with their manufacture.

Oh, if you got the extended warranty at the store you bought it from that might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back