i got my flats today
Feb 23, 2010 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
On the one hand it's hard to believe someone is charging me $35 for a couple of small pieces of foam. On the other hand it's hard to believe how much better things sound. For anyone e who has ever lamented open cans enough to say, "Where's the bass," these pads are for you. As with any solution, there are always exceptional circumstances where the solution actually makes things worse. If a track has anemic HF, flats aggravate the situation in the same way that jumbos worsen sibilance in the source material. But for most of my music the improvement is undeniable.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 10
You are most definitely the pad-junkie of head-fi. I hope that you get a special title some day.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 10
It really compresses the soundstage, but the increase in bass and a pinch less shrill treble is nice. It was fun on my SR225, but now on the RS-1i, it's really bringing some authoritative slam home now.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are most definitely the pad-junkie of head-fi. I hope that you get a special title some day.

Thanks, man.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really compresses the soundstage, but the increase in bass and a pinch less shrill treble is nice. It was fun on my SR225, but now on the RS-1i, it's really bringing some authoritative slam home now.
wink.gif

Yeah, I think you're on to something. There are Grados that are, by their nature, brighter, maybe shriller, than their brothers. With the GS1000, the jumbos are partly a necessity because the drivers are so beat heavy that most people feel overwhelmed by them. Maybe this is the flip side of the same principle - you get the cushions that best compliment the character of the presentation. Either way, it's an attempt to reach for some kind of balance.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 10
May have to invest in these, but if soundstage is compressed that much I may only use them periodically.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 10
It wasn't until I got serious about headphones, aided by the conquest of digital music, that I had any appreciation of just how widely divergent artists and records were in terms of tonal balance. Some studio recordings are just a hair away from garage-band quality. Some are just the opposite, with crystalline highs. You try to find a headphone with a tonal balance that fits as many artists and styles as possible, but it's a pipe dream. My GS1000 hated sugary recordings. My HF-2 hates muddy tracks. It's weird because just when you listen to a track and wonder if what you have is too much of a good thing, the next track will show such a difference in tonal balance, and you end up appreciating what you have.

The great thing about flats is their capacity to hold onto that leaking bass so well that everything becomes dynamic. Everything - from trumpet blasts to acoustic guitar strums - just has more texture. There's bass, which is something we all celebrate, but then there's something else - something that brings me back to Grados again and again. It's that dynamic quality where you feel more than just percussive bass. Even instruments in the upper register can have a percussive quality. I love the gurgle of a sax, the buzz of a trumpet, the resonance of a violin bow being drawn across the string, as well as that breathy quality of a flute or the complexity behind the honking of a clarinet. Unfiltered, Grados capture the subtler dynamics of a lot of instruments you don't normally associate with bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back