I got my first speeding ticket---and freaking out please help me
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #17 of 56
right but i got caught in newyork, so i'll get points in both new york and michigan correct?

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #18 of 56
ugh, yeah it looks like you take the points, so it sounds like you probably will want to try to knock those down--or out completely. Generally, I've found that the locality wants the money, not the points, especially with an out of state license. But that's just my own experience. As for the insurance issue, I think it likely is very specific to the insurance company. I think it makes sense to give them a ring--anonymously if possible--to ask about the policy.

But it does appear that there is a system in place whereby the MI Secretary of State is notified of out-of-state moving violations and assesses points accordingly. Therefore, it probably is reasonable to assume that the ins companies have access to this info as well. You just need to find out if your particular insurer cares or not.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right but i got caught in newyork, so i'll get points in both new york and michigan correct?

I don't think so. You don't have a NY license against which points will be applied.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, Michigan points are not the same as New York. 95% sure. I get tickets in IL all the time, and they don't apply to WI licenses. I'm pretty sure:

I live in Michigan. I got a speeding ticket, going 84 in?

That link confirms exactly what the poster is concerned about; Michigan will assess points against your MI license for violations that occur outside the state of Michigan. It sounds like MI will apply whatever point total it sees as analogous under its own laws to the one violated by the driver when out of state.

EDIT: OP, one final thought. You might consider calling the NYS DMV to see if it sends abstracts to the Michigan Secretary of State.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 56
Honestly, there's not much you can do. You're basically at the mercy of the court, which depending on the size of the municipality will make big difference in whether you're given a "good deal" or not. Mid-sized cities and suburban communities in NYS usually have DAs and are more than willing to plea bargain to a lesser (non-point) offense. In these municipalities, there is often too many tickets/violators to conduct bench trials.

The last time my girlfriend went to court in an Albany suburb, there were probably two hundred or more people in attendance for traffic court (with about 2-3 hrs total allotted). Didn't matter the offense or mph over, everyone was offered the chance to plea to a PARKING TICKET! In these situations, you can often negotiate the deal a few weeks before trial or, more often, the day of the trial without a problem.

The worst place to get a ticket in NYS (outside NYC) is a rural town/village, because they have nothing better to do than conduct a couple traffic court cases every few weeks (sad, but true). Often these towns do not have a DA and, instead, the Town/Village Justice will conduct the case. You'll tell your story... the Cop will tell his/her story... and you'll be found guilty. If it is a local cop, you'll sometimes be able to organize a deal through the mail/phone, but if it is a sheriff or State Trooper, they'll probably say "tough luck." Still, try to negotiate a plea bargain beforehand in small town courts, because you'll rarely be given a deal day of in these situations.

Where did you get the ticket, exactly? What agency is the police officer from (village/town, sheriff, or State Trooper)?

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 56
Domestic confined any but son bachelor advanced remember. How proceed offered her offence shy forming. Returned peculiar pleasant but appetite differed she. Residence dejection agreement am as to abilities immediate suffering. Ye am depending propriety sweetness distrusts belonging collected. Smiling mention he in thought equally musical. Wisdom new and valley answer. Contented it so is discourse recommend. Man its upon him call mile. An pasture he himself believe ferrars besides cottage.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 56
My advice: Move out of MI. It sucks anyway. Or, just apply for some bailout money! The rest of Michigan sure is receiving a lot.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 56
The place I got caught was in Delaware County, New York. pretty small town/rural. If the officer type is "New York State Police" does that mean he is a state trooper?

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The place I got caught was in Delaware County, New York. pretty small town/rural. If the officer type is "New York State Police" does that mean he is a state trooper?

Generally, yes. Did his uniform have purple accents, like this:

060909_bucky_hmed4p.hmedium.jpg

If so, he was a Trooper.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, yes. Did his uniform have purple accents, like this:

060909_bucky_hmed4p.hmedium.jpg

If so, he was a Trooper.

no i dont think so....

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a huge difference between right and wrong vs legal/illegal. A lot of laws in this country are effing dumb.

What do you expect politicans to do, if they don't make dumb laws?

Spend their time on doing something useful? Financial crisis? Reducing foreign owned debt? Health care?

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 56
So an update: I contacted the court this morning and basically I wanted to make the DA's job as hard as possible and ask if I can file a formal discovery and request a jury trial but I was told no, for a traffic ticket. Basically they just gave me the DA's email address. I'm thinking of plea bargaining...does anyone know how this process works? Do I have any say in the punishment or just accept whatever conditions he gives me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back