I got my first Grado: SR-60 is nice, modded it and now it's even better!
Jan 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a used SR-60 with flats (in mint conditions) from a fellow head-fier and received it yesterday. (it's already fully burnt-in)

First of all I'm a Senn guy. I bought the SR-60 because I was really curious to hear what a Grado sounded like, plus it was realy cheap, so here I am.

I have used them out of my Hornet: they sounded very good, with a nice balanced clear sound, they really are leagues ahead of my PX100s, much more detailed, more balanced, clearer, no muddiness, was fairly impressed.

Only one thing: they had a tad too shrill highs and also some high pitched guitar notes were shrill compared to some of my other cans.

So it's modding time!!! Removed the stock black plastic grill and used a metal mesh one instead (more open) and also put a small blob of blu-tak on the back of the driver (in the central metal part, without covering the two small holes)
dsc04265mediumyy9.jpg

I took the idea from a thread found here in head-fi.

Must say the mod removes all of the shrillness, tames the highs a bit and also makes the bass a little bit punchier/tighter, plus the mod looks cool imho. A really very enjoyable overall sound for this pricepoint.
They easily outperform my PX100, HD485 and K81DJ
icon10.gif

Very happy with the results, the SR-60 has now become my can when I'm at work.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes you have created a monster!
Cutting up Grados like that....

I also linked a couple of my friends to this forum and now they are all "Borg" (star trek related joke... yes I am ashame)

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 16
Added pics to first post
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 16
Nice mod. Did the soundstage change at all?

I also found the SR60 significantly more detailed than the PX100, both unamped and straight out of a 4G iPod.

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice mod. Did the soundstage change at all?

I also found the SR60 significantly more detailed than the PX100, both unamped and straight out of a 4G iPod.

No, the soundstage didn't change to my ears, but the mod makes for a more natural, lifelike overall sound, especially in the upper mids and highs (they become more rounded and much less sharp/spikey)

BTW the RS1s have blobs of blu-tak or similar material in each driver in the exact same spot where I placed mines.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 16
That IS a cool looking mod!

Since I "should" take my MS-1s apart to add shrink tubing to the harness between the "Y" junction and the housings to repair the damage that the kids did, I may want to do the same mods!!

I could have a bit of stylin' fun with it by adding appropriately colored shrink tubing to compliment my yellow 414s, and add some brightly colored gummy stuff on the drivers to show through those pretty mesh screens!!

Could be a fun project!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the soundstage didn't change to my ears, but the mod makes for a more natural, lifelike overall sound, especially in the upper mids and highs

but that takes the real fun element for which sr-60 is known and loved for away
plainface.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Nice mesh there. You could and the writing off for the all black look, although it looks good with your mesh. I have kept the stock grille, removed the button and sanded and polished all the writing and bump texture plastic.

I also have blue tack, but you have coloured yours - what method did you use?

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 16
The mesh is actually an aluminum mesh that is intended for car tuning (yeah the one that goes on air scoops and such)

I haven't used blu-tack but black plasticine, works exactly the same way as blu-tack, plus it is cheaper and available in different colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back