I got my ATH A900's today!!
Jul 6, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 47
Part of it is the novelty.. A900 is sooooo pretttty....
smily_headphones1.gif

Another reason, A900 used to be my office headphone. Now I'm using either my 2X-S or UE-10 at work. Neither of them is quite as convenient, although they do sound a whole lot better.

However, the A900 gets a lot more looks from my co-workers, and a lot more questions about "How much did that cost?". Understandably, no one quite understand why a custom IEM costs so much, but everyone can relate to the cost of headphone a little more easily. Of course, that's already something that's hard to explain to start with.

Lastly, neither 2X-S or UE-10 is something that can be just taken out of your ear in less than a second. A900 is much more fit for the working environment. There's also never anyone that'll attempt to talk to me through the headphones, unlike when I have the 2X-S, a lot of times they don't even realize I'm wearing something, and just start talking to me.

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
There's also never anyone that'll attempt to talk to me through the headphones, unlike when I have the 2X-S, a lot of times they don't even realize I'm wearing something, and just start talking to me.

....and of course if you're already busy.....that gives a good excuse to ignore them
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 47
It took my pair about 50 hours before stopped playing them non stop, The bass got alot louder, and more controlled. I'm still impressed with them after having them for a month.

Great headphones!

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #20 of 47
after approx 36 hours of burn in. the bass is less poopy now and everything seems a bit tighter yay!

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 47
Hopefully I'll have a set of these A900s myself soon! Can't wait.

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 47
im just using the mint that i made.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #24 of 47
Hello everyone.
Yes I'm enjoying the a900's very much! I love them so far. I think they were a wise purchase and significant upgrade from my sony mdr v6's. I'll keep you guys posted with further thoughts towards the a900's.

-Dustin

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #26 of 47
Thats the endless question isn't it. A500/700/900??

Deviant3 you might be interested to know that Lindrone posted in a comparison thread that he felt that for a non-audiophile listener the 500 was 99% the can of the 900. Try the search button - it is quite good these days
tongue.gif

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on the A700 though - but I'm tempted by it because of the slightly lower impedence and by the fact it probably wont benefit from an amp as much - therefore less to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif
"Wallet safety is my middle name"

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviant03
I didnt see much of a difference from the specs so I went with those instead.

specs don't mean a lot where it comes to audio. up to a point at least. not many audiophiles would consider buying an amplifier with say 10%THD or even probably 3% (or 1% for that matter). most equipment has THD less than 0.01%THD, but a difference can still be heard between amps or headphones with similar specs! this can be put down to things such as design, construction and so on. also different headphones/speakers will have respond differently to a given signal eg. one may take longer to decay after a drumbeat than another. so basically trust your ears... specs can only really tell you whether the thing has potential to begin with.

disclaimer: i'm not very good at explaining this and i might be wrong so please... be nice when you correct me.

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviant03
Hmm, are these worth the extra money over the A500? I didnt see much of a difference from the specs so I went with those instead.

I had the same question but you beat me to it.

Also I'm a asking cause I dont know but the AT's on audiocubes site are they the only place those can be found? on AT's English web site there is no mention of the cans at audiocubes. Are these being specially shipped in from Japan?

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 47
Actually, the A700 is supposed to have a different sonic signature from A500/A900, from what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back