I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange
Aug 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #136 of 181
Obviously they feel that those who enter the store with their wallets open shouting "Shut up and take my money!" are the only ones worthy of crossing their threshold.

You're absolutely right. Dissatisfied customers will tell more people about their bad experience than satisfied customers will tell people about their good experience. Probably because those who had the good experience are busy enjoying their purchase.

se

Well, I take it he didn't go into Apples, main store at 59st. & 5th. ave.
You get service in that store,that is just outstanding,and,they are open 24/7 ..365 days per year

Sorry he had a bad experience..

Mike

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #137 of 181
People who have been established a long time don't like dealing with change.

It reminds me a lot of a common kind of car accident -- the rear-ender. The car in front stops suddenly and the person behind, in instant panic about hitting the car in front....hits the car in front as they slam on the brakes. The experienced, fearless driver will swerve neatly around the car.

But overall, people drive towards their fears. The more you focus on something, the more you move towards it.

An experienced driver may well swerve the car in front, but that's not due to being fearless, it's as you firstly state - experience.

In this case, though I'm not defending Stereo Exchanges apparent poor reaction to the OP, and seemingly just plain rude, lacking in common courtesy and basic respect for another individual, it seems more a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

"Fearless" suggests ego which in Stereo Exchanges case seems correct in that context, and "experienced" as they have apparently been in business for 30yrs.

What Stereo Exchange appear to be failing at is their reaction time - reacting appropriately to circumstances they seem unable to grasp that they have no control over and seem to misunderstand with in trepidation , namely the internet.

This situation appears to be SE regarding the internet as "the enemy" and place the OP within that bracket, to disastrous consequence for the retailer in question - the disaster for this store is largely this thread and the very negative light it now is in over one single incident and individual whom happens to be a member of the largest headphone enthusiast site in the world, which coincidentally brings me to quote you again Currawong - sorry if this seems like I'm stalking you :wink:

But they are doing something stupid. 14 years ago or so, when I first started in big-store retail, we were taught that a happy customer tells, on average, 4.5 people about their experience. An unhappy customer, on the other hand, tells 9, so the odds are stacked against you. Now with Yelp and the internet being the size it is, this is magnified out of all proportion. So stores with staff that are arrogant are shooting themselves in the foot.

I remember a friend, who runs a small film studio who wanted to upgrade all his computers and place a big order with a suitable local Apple retailer. So he goes into a store and asks to buy an iPod. Being a small sale (with effectively no profit) the staff treat him like crap. They didn't realise that their attitude lost them a 6-figure sale!

If the online world is such a threat to their business, then they can't afford to treat customers in anything other than an excellent manner. The guy who comes in to try a pair of headphones might just be someone who wants to come back later and buy a far more serious system.

This is exactly right - word of mouth from satisfied customers is not only free advertising, but creates return business and eventually to a loyal core customer base, but also new customers as a lot of value is placed on recommendations from people whom have enjoyed a positive experience from a retailer - it's like gold dust to retailers if they get it right, but if they get it wrong - well just look at this thread.

Everyone can have an off day, but IMO the lady whom dealt with the OP was severely lacking in customer service skills and should recognise this and have staff experienced enough to have handled the OP in a much better light.

A skilled individual trained well in customer service and with the right attitude can even make turning down an individuals request into a positive one - that might sound impossible but believe me it's not.

Leaving a customer or potential customer with a negative experience is such a no-no in retail it's saddening to hear of stories like this - for both sides of the equation.

Obviously they feel that those who enter the store with their wallets open shouting "Shut up and take my money!" are the only ones worthy of crossing their threshold.

You're absolutely right. Dissatisfied customers will tell more people about their bad experience than satisfied customers will tell people about their good experience. Probably because those who had the good experience are busy enjoying their purchase.

se

I can see how that appears to be SE's attitude, but I don't think it's as simple as that to dismiss them with.

I genuinely hope SE see this thread and use it as a steep learning curve to climb quickly as bricks and mortar stores like these if done right would be celebrated by this community and it's surrounding walk in localised potential customers.

I'd love to see a positive come out of this negative for the store and OP.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #138 of 181
I read this and very truly LOL'd in my seat.  How people can be like that is beyond me.  

I've heard some very strange stories about this store over the years if it helps you feel any better.

"The Intranets" = clearly out to get Stereo Exchange

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #139 of 181
OP, sorry this happened to you. I tried to make it through this thread but by the time I perused the link to AA's idiocy it was enough.

Growing up my family had some friends who ran businesses in NYC. This type of thing is par for the course for the New York tradition. Smarter owners know when to get out of the way and who to hire to represent them, dumber ones stick to running their stores like a private club for longtime consumers without any concerns of expanding their business. One commenter here inadvertently summed it up:

Originally Posted by gregv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... damaging the reputation of a noble NYC audio store ...

Audio stores, however well established, are not nobility and their customers aren't vassals. The OP has no responsibility to coddle their antiquated practices.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #141 of 181
How about being straight-up and fair: "I have no intention of buying anything today, will you take ~$60-$100 to let me listen to these headphones for an hour or two?"

lol :D

OP, sorry this happened to you. I tried to make it through this thread but by the time I perused the link to AA's idiocy it was enough.

Growing up my family had some friends who ran businesses in NYC. This type of thing is par for the course for the New York tradition. Smarter owners know when to get out of the way and who to hire to represent them, dumber ones stick to running their stores like a private club for longtime consumers without any concerns of expanding their business. One commenter here inadvertently summed it up:

Audio stores, however well established, are not nobility and their customers aren't vassals. The OP has no responsibility to coddle their antiquated practices.

I read through the Yelp comments ratings for this store and couldn't help but think - how are these guys still in business?

Because the bad comments made by customers/potential customers to that store, are truly horrific, yet this company has been around a long time, so must be making a profit regardless.

There are some positive comments on Yelp, but I get the impression that's down to the luck of the draw as to what sales guy/gal you encounter when entering the store.

Now I read your comment regarding private club business model and I guess you've covered my query :)

Nonetheless, I feel bad for the OP or anybody else - not part of the private client club circle, who ends up been treat so abruptly :frowning2:

+ that type of business model - all your small but valuable eggs in one basket is high risk and prone to collapse if a couple of eggs break along the way :eek:

But I guess that's SE's prerogative.

Would I personally go in the store? Yes - if I was passing - they've got some kick ass gear in there and I'd be prepared for any snootyness - lol :D and I'd be prepared for it fully too after reading this thread. To ensure I wasn't hassled by anyone I'd walk in with my bright red solo2 headphones around my neck and head straight for the headphone section and if they had something I liked - yes I would buy.

One thing I would deny if asked though would be if they asked me if I was from the internets :D

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #142 of 181
I feel for the OP. I live in Canada and there are very, very few retailers with hi-end headphones to try out. There are a couple of stores in Vancouver and Toronto, and aside from that, retailers here are very few and far between.

The only opportunity I've had to try out headphones is from people selling them second hand (on kijiji/craigslist), or at meets. And most people do not enjoy letting you audition the gear they're trying to sell second hand, unless you're almost 100% certain you're going to buy it.

I have met dealers who were more than willing to allow me to audition hi-end setups, and I am more than willing to buy from them if the price is reasonable. (Double what I can buy the gear for online is not reasonable... 10% more is fine). Headphones are normally in a display case or box, which always makes me wonder who would possibly buy them without getting an opportunity to audition them.

I have a feeling that some of these retailers knowingly sell their gear at a premium, hoping that their customers are ignorant to what they could buy the gear for online. I would rather have a civilized discussion with the retailer, since I'm always able to walk away, google the price online, and come back. I don't expect the retailer to do all the work of showcasing the product without charging a bit of a premium, but I also fundamentally disagree with a retailer kicking a potential customer out... their loss for sure.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #143 of 181

I was there for two reasons:

• I buy a lot of headphones, and I was interested to hear some of the newer, more rare models that are usually impossible to try anywhere in person, such as the HE-560, Phonon SMB-02, and Audezes, and a couple of rare amps like the Auralic Taurus.
  • I sometimes review headphones for my blog, and there were a handful of high-end portable models like the Aedle, Master & Dynamic, and Martin Logan that I wanted to try so I could know whether to recommend them.

[snip]

The nearby manager overheard me and was immediately confrontational. "You have a website?"

"Yeah, I sometimes review headphones on my blog."

[snip]

Macro, thanks for warning us about this place so we can avoid it. No excuse for such craptastic customer service. I got treated the same way at a Porsche dealership once - not a big deal since I ended up going to another one where I got great service.

The problem was that you were too honest. Unfortunately, a lot of hifi stores tend to be snobbish; and if they even sense via the Force that you are not there to buy something (and as Yoda can attest, the Force isn't always right or so clear), they will throw you out the door, Internets or not. You should have instead done your best Obi-Wan mind-trick: "I've heard such wanderful things about you guys from a friend. I am here to try these Audezes that everyone is telling me about. You will let me hear the Audezes from that McIntosh amp because I am a big fan of McIntosh stuff." or "I am a journalist and I hate Amazon. I think it's awesome that you have a brick and mortar store and I would like to write about you guys because you are unique. I don't know much about headphones, but can you tell me more about them? I wish to experience what your store offers."

They play their game. You gotta play along.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #144 of 181
One of the yelp reviewers (http://www.yelp.com/biz/stereo-exchange-new-york) makes a comment in the very back end of 2010 (27th Dec) that comments:

"These guys have absolutely no clue what they're doing. Sad that they're still riding their "2003 TimeOut best hi-fi dealer in NYC award." LMAO. Beyond pathetic".

I don't know if SE still advertise this 2003 award accolade, but at time of the above Yelp review, that's almost an 8yr gap and picture in link below shows front of store still advertising this in 2012 - maybe 2003 was the beginning of SE's decline in customer service, but regardless, I think if they still advertise such a dated award, it's also perhaps not the best of indicators either?

http://www.stereophile.com/images/styles/600_wide/public/stereo-exchange_0.jpg?itok=TrILyQwa

Their web site is pretty slick though - looks like they've got some excellent gear in stock.

http://stereoexchange.com

I don't get why they don't sell online other than second user stuff on eBay?

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #145 of 181
Macro, thanks for warning us about this place so we can avoid it. No excuse for such craptastic customer service. I got treated the same way at a Porsche dealership once - not a big deal since I ended up going to another one where I got great service.

The problem was that you were too honest. Unfortunately, a lot of hifi stores tend to be snobbish; and if they even sense via the Force that you are not there to buy something (and as Yoda can attest, the Force isn't always right or so clear), they will throw you out the door, Internets or not. You should have instead done your best Obi-Wan mind-trick: "I've heard such wanderful things about you guys from a friend. I am here to try these Audezes that everyone is telling me about. You will let me hear the Audezes from that McIntosh amp because I am a big fan of McIntosh stuff." or "I am a journalist and I hate Amazon. I think it's awesome that you have a brick and mortar store and I would like to write about you guys because you are unique. I don't know much about headphones, but can you tell me more about them? I wish to experience what your store offers."

Bingo.

That was the sort of point I was trying to make, but wasn't able to articulate so well.

This is common knowledge to the experienced and a skill anyone can learn at any stage of their life.

Makro is coming off a little naive and the world isn't always such a nice place. Getting an audition is not brain science and this scenario wasn't a particularly challenging one.

Just 'play the game' or use the system to your advantage. Take it from the experienced...one could get further in life much more easily...there are going to be further challenges in life...much more difficult than getting a headphone audition.

Having said that I must commend all Sydney hi Fi stores as they were the best in service when I was auditioning for headphones...actually except one that took me for a fool..but that was a worker, the owners were miles better and told me don't worry about him...they'd straighten him out!

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #146 of 181
Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, a lot of hifi stores tend to be snobbish; and if they even sense via the Force that you are not there to buy something (and as Yoda can attest, the Force isn't always right or so clear), they will throw you out the door, Internets or not. You should have instead done your best Obi-Wan mind-trick: "I've heard such wanderful things about you guys from a friend. I am here to try these Audezes that everyone is telling me about.

This is a "high" (though not really) end audio store on Broadway near Houston - basically sandwiched in NYU, north of Soho, but not in the snobby areas of Manhattan. 

Wouldn't waste time with talking crap.  If you're there just to look or listen just say it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they're **** and ignore you or only halfheartedly show you something - unless you're serious about buying, move on.  This is New York.  Get used to it.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #147 of 181

This is a "high" (though not really) end audio store on Broadway near Houston - basically sandwiched in NYU, north of Soho, but not in the snobby areas of Manhattan. 

Wouldn't waste time with talking crap.  If you're there just to look or listen just say it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they're **** and ignore you or only halfheartedly show you something - unless you're serious about buying, move on.  This is New York.  Get used to it.

Start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today​
I want to be a part of it​
New York, New York...​

:wink:

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #148 of 181

U sayin he should fuhgeddaboudit already?

http://youtu.be/WiuorrXsngM

:D

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #149 of 181
I've been to several audiophile shops/dealers in Manhattan. They are always full of staunch sales people, usually pretty rude and pompous especially if your not willing to spend big big bucks. Stereoexchange is a lil better than most, but their pricing is substantially higher than lesser known dealers. They have a lot of inventory on the plus side. That being said they're a lot better than lyric hifi and singer audio. I had a great experience with Ciamara Corp, if your looking for a good dealer.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #150 of 181
The OP's story here reminds me a bit of a time when I was in Vegas - shopping mid morning and went into the Versace store at Caesars Palace http://youtu.be/yv89Lb7mwQE (not my video, but gives you an idea of how highbrow a store it is).

I was just mooching around looking at their rags when I noticed one of the male staff staring at me in a snobby displeased way, so I just ignored him - couldn't think of any reason why he'd be like that with me, but noticed he kept this up following me with his glare around the store.

It wasn't till later in the day when I mentioned this to a friend that they said it was probably due to the fact that I was wearing Armani and dude didn't approve of me wearing a rival designers clothes in their store - like What?

If you go into a non specific store that sells a host of brands, you get a warm reception, but this dude in Versace was as uninviting as it gets - though he didn't throw me out like OP was at SE - lol :D

Snobby sales staff are everywhere, OP should laugh at SE's loss not his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back