I got an Apogee Big Ben...S-W-E-E-T!
Dec 9, 2004 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
Thought I would try one of these famous recording studio Master Clocks to reduce Jitter from a Mac G5 to a high end Burmester DAC.

I am using Apple Lossless compression and iTunes as the player.

Really a first class upgrade. Virtaully all parts of the sound improved. Bass extension and tightness, stage was wider, better attack and decay inside the harmonic envelope, more impact, much cleaner and more refined, better speed, considerably more stage depth.....a winner all around.

I would highly recommend one...they use a newer and more advanced method of jitter reduction that the standard PLL / buffer offered by the Genesis digital lens and Meridian 518 and Camelot Dragon Pro. Plus you can pass signals all the way up to 192 on it (not that I have).

I was surprised by the quality of the TOSlink out on the G5 (I bought a top of the line Audioquest Quartz glass cable) into the Burmester. Nothing like the transport of course, but much better than I expected.

I am now running light pipe into the Big Ben and a Stealth Audio Varidig 110ohm AES/EBU cable out of the Big Ben and into the Burmester. Not quite to the caliber of the Burmester transport I have - or for that matter the Wadia 270 which I also have on hand for comparison - but close. And close enough to listen while moving around the house without appreciable loss of sound quality.

The iTunes interface with my 340Gigs of music files is a real treat to use. Drag and drop, real time playlists/Search by Song Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Author or your personalized comments and no more switching out CDs every 5 songs or so... I love it.

The Big Ben is very well built...is heavily reviewed as the best stable clock in the recording industry and was easy to use.

Thumbs Up!.....Got mine from a real nice woman named Parker at Sonic Sense in Denver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back