I got a power issue I *think*
Mar 3, 2006 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
So, I've had this problem for a while and I thought the PS Audio UPC-200 would fix it but it looks it doesn't.

When I listen to my setup (SCD-1->Dynamight->Q010) I got like some white noise or static like distortion coming mainly from the left channel (also the right but it seems more pronounced at the left channel).

Its not my headphones nor do I believe its the amp since at the NJ Meet everything was dead quiet throughout the day.

My situation is not ideal - I have a power strip connected to another power strip which has computer equipment on it. I thought some passive filtering might clean up this noise but sadly I was mistaken.

What are my options?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 23
Nothing AC mains line related will sound like that.

Sounds more like a contact problem and maybe you need to just clean your plugs and jacks or at the minimum if RCA types twist the RCA plug in connection around a bit while plugged in and if the TRS jack/plug just plug and unplug a few times to "wipe" the contacts

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Well hmmm....thats an interesting idea...I'm using balanced XLR connectors for everything...what should I clean and with what?

XLRs are self wiping so just plug-unplug,plug-unplug a few times and you should be fine.Using a contact cleaner can in some cases be a detriment because of the resuidue buildup and that is impossible to get out of the tiny XLR jack/plug crevace.

If this does not cure the problem consider a partially bad connection where the cable enters the plug.Gently flex the cable right where it enters the actual XLR plug for each connection while listening for any chnges in either the "tone" of the noise or its absence.

Many XLR plugs has piss poor strain releif right at the collar and through normal use can go south on you but not all at once ! that would be way too easy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 23
Wait, I don't think its my cables cause when I try the single-ended stock cable, I still hear it....I'm almost sure its power conditioning.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Wait, I don't think its my cables cause when I try the single-ended stock cable, I still hear it....I'm almost sure its power conditioning.

well that really sucks !

Next possibility is DC riders on the AC line.You have toroid transformers in your amp ?

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 23
It is definitely power related. Last night (1:30AM), I got home turned on my Dynamight and listened...dead quiet perfect. Its most prominent during the middle of the day.

Again, why the heck isn't the UPC-200 doing anything? Would something like real AC regeneration get rid of this permanently or is the UPC-200 just weak?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea I don't a power cord is going to do much for me...

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Again, why the heck isn't the UPC-200 doing anything? Would something like real AC regeneration get rid of this permanently or is the UPC-200 just weak?
smily_headphones1.gif

If it's DC coming through the line as Rick suggests, UPC-200 won't be of help since it doesn't do anything against it. PS Audio does have UPC-200HB and Humbuster AC (discontinued) that are supposed to block DC coming through the line.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

I am leaving this thread.

well thanks for all your insightful information when you decided this thread was important enough for your involvement considering how busy you must be
rolleyes.gif

On the DC on the AC rider front.I recently read an article (can't remember exactly where but may have been Positive feedback Online) where the person had a buzz on his gear from those goofy little "bulb saver" wafers so many use on their light bulbs.
It seems for some unknown reason (to me) they send a DC rider into the line and will set any audio gear with toroidal transformer buzing like a hornets nest yet when they were removed the buzzing stopped !

DC is a bigger problem than many realise and is not really addressed by the equipment manufacturers on the "what they don't know won't hurt them" model of gear sales

Users who are viewing this thread

Back