I got a $500 Headphone budget! What should I do
Jul 15, 2004 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

king896

100+ Head-Fier
I worked hard for the pass month and have saved up enough money to make my second flurry into the hifi market and get some new home phones. I am overwhelmed in which direction I should go with my money; right now I am looking at a couple of different variations to spend my money. The first phone I looked into where the AKG 501's, they were said to have great fidelity and neutrality, with some weakness apparent in the bass region. I would have sprung for them, but I am having second thoughts because they are open phones and I am going to be using them in my room with a loud air conditioner. The second phone that came to mind where the Audio-Technica ATH-A900, they seemed to be a very good headphone for the price that was an all around performer. Then I thought why not go the full 9 yards and try the next price tier, so now I started looking at the Sony MDR-CD3000 and Audio-Technica ATH-W1000, these both seemed to be very high quality cans, but I was reading up on the cdr-3000 and they were said to be harsh in the upper frequencies, and I am really trying to avoid that so I think it puts the Sony’s out of the running.

My setup is an EMU 1212 playing alt-insane mp3s or ogg 10 files, to an old Sansui z5000 receiver. Most of the music is progressive rock, classical like Dvorak and Stravinsky, and jazz like Coltrane and Art Blakey. I want a phone with a very sweet mid range, that doesn't cause fatigue due to harshness in the upper ranges. Right now my only high quality phones are Shure E5's listing from a Rio karma.

Thanks for your help
icon10.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 15
wait a sec? 500? you can get used Grado RS-1s for $450 used from folks on head fi and a couple other places!

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 15
I'd go for either HD650's or CD3000's, but it's all dependent on what sort of sound you like, and what sort of amp you are willing to get for them. I uh....will pick CD3000's for now.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Once I make this purchase, a amp will have to held off for atleast 2 to 3 months so I could actually afford one. Comfort is very important because these are a bedtime phone, and I want to be relaxed and not have to fiddle with anything. I was looking into the 650's but I am unsure if my current setup would work for them or if they are to laid back for my taste, i want the music to be crisp with a great midrange and a unharsh upper octave.

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 15
You're looking for CLOSED phones, right?
Can't help you with closed. If you want open, why not go with HD595 and get a nice $300 or amp with the difference?

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 15
You have no amp? Then I'd go with what DevilDog said.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 15
I wouldn't call the CD3Ks harsh in the higher frequencies - the highs are just more pronuonced. They just sound very detailed to me. Their bass is weaker than others too (A900, AKG 271), but tight and equalisation will bring it up.

Also the CD3Ks can't be called closed at all. The A900s give significantly more isolation, but still not as much as Senn 280s. The A900s sound quite a lot better than the 280s though.

I've read that the A1000s aren't a big improvement on the A900s, and probably aren't worth the money - best do your own search on that though.

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 15
i second the grado rs1. it's light, sounds great unamped (and amazing amped), and fits with the kind of music you listen to...

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15
No Grados or Senns on the list, so I voted for 'other'..

If you insist on closed cans I cannot help much, as I have no worthwhile experience with closed cans.

For open cans:
If you have $500 that should last you for a couple of months.. I would suggest a used Grado SR-325 and Gilmore Lite; or Senn HD600 and Gilmore Lite..

Should sound better than most other combos out there that can be had for around $500.. There is always the vote for a CD3000, but they cost ~$350 even used, and from my experience with them (YMMV) they could be a bit fatiguing for many people when being driven by cheaper amps...

My 2 cents..

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 15
Based, on what I know (which isn't too much), you should get the A900s and you can save up what's left and add it to what you were already going to have in 2-3 months and get a better amp.

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
There is always the vote for a CD3000, but they cost ~$350 even used, and from my experience with them (YMMV) they could be a bit fatiguing for many people when being driven by cheaper amps...

I'm not sure the CD3Ks are worth the extra cost over the A900s... but I can happily run the CD3Ks from my PCs onboard sound card and listen as long as I like
smily_headphones1.gif
I can even run them from my little CD player
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I'm not sure the CD3Ks are worth the extra cost over the A900s... but I can happily run the CD3Ks from my PCs onboard sound card and listen as long as I like
smily_headphones1.gif
I can even run them from my little CD player
etysmile.gif

Wish my ears were as forgiving !!

I somehow fatigue after a while listening to the CD3Ks.. I guess my CD3K is waiting for a good tube amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back