I getting ready to back up my VHS, what kind of stereo can I expect?
Dec 3, 2004 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hydef

New Head-Fier
As always since 1994 I will be using my VLS 2.0 to 4.0 upgrading to Dolby Pro-Logic, as I understand it PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is the DVD recorders way of outputing a non monoural sound. Am I right that what was mixed in Dolby Surround will be heard as Dolby Pro-Logic on my VLS brain fooling device from say Dolby Surround 2.0.

O.S. Dell Inspiron 2.0GHz Intel Processor M with the 755 Dothan Chipset, SDRAM 1,024 AKA 1 GB upgraded from 512 sodimm, 80 GB hard drive and 1920 x 1200 pixel WUGA 16 x 10 configuration screen, picture will come in on screen but sound will come from stand alone VLS Dolby Decoding 4.0 Pro-Logic Digital System Display(DSP) mode set to theater heard from Fostex T40 PQ Studio cans.

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Oh well I thougt it might be too hard for you to figure out, 2 other forums couldn't figure it out either so don't feel bad. Have a happy weekend 'able' people, this cripple will find the answer I have to it's part of my having to live even after it's been nearly 20 years since my career ending accident in June of 1985, I was 38 and devastated I could never do my job or ever walk again. It was worth it I saved 4 children now grown and their Mother and Father, who stayed until the CT state police arrived and said if that brave truck driver is still alive please thank him for what he did to save our chrilden and our family.

It would have been a good death than to become a Eleanor Rigby that no one wants, for no one that I know except soldiers doing their duty will be at my funeral at Arlington, giving me a 7 gun 3 shot salute to a brave american that fought for his America in the Vietnam War. I'm sorry but I have no smile to state the sadness I have yet to find a answer to, my building has all old people in and I must use headphones not to bother them for they are able and I am not.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 8
What is it you need to do...transfer VHS audio & video to DVD?

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Is what you're asking is "will dolby pro logic master tape be decoded into dolby digital surround, when encoded to DVD?" Or more generally, "will my dolby pro logic tape be decoded into a native DVD surround format?" I BELIVE the answer to that is no, that's not done as a normal part of dvd mastering. It's conceivable you could find a program that does it, but I have not researched such options myself.

OTOH, if all you're asking is if you can encode Dolby Pro Logic as-is onto your DVD and let your existing equipment decode it just as if it were decoding VHS audio, then yes, that should work perfectly well. Allegedly DPL is in fact an official surround format for DVD so some DVD players might even decode it on their own.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 8
I more or less asked it if could be done, the answer is yes. I bought a bogus "Eddie and the Cruisers 2: Eddie Lives" DVD which was Dolby Stereo Surround a few years ago. I wanted it to be released so much, but the Scotti bros were to cheap to release in it's native form of anamorphic 2.35:1 what I bought imediatley seen it as bogus but didn't complain as that was what I was after.

Publius you lied and I know who put this up to you as I was once a DVDCA artist also, only you were known as Publious82, you failed to hurt the cripple. Take that back to your friends over at the den or DVDtalk.
How you people want to hurt a genuine cripple, who served in our U. S. Navy and was Honorably Discharged is beyond me. I just wanted a answer to a question who's answer I already knew, but you didn't know that, you tried to hurt the cripple, but you have failed miserably.

Sure was nice listening to Carrie 2: The Rage and Firestarter 2: Rekindled both in Dolby Surround and heard on my sucessful marriage of the VLS and the Radio Shack 42-2108 with Fostex T40 PQ Studio phones TTFN
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Publius you lied and I know who put this up to you as I was once a DVDCA artist also, only you were known as Publious82, you failed to hurt the cripple. Take that back to your friends over at the den or DVDtalk.

Wow... I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I even tried searching for that name and yours on DVD Talk, and came up empty - a task slightly impeded by the fact that I had never visited that site before in my life. (I do find it quite coincidental that my birth year matches his name though.)

I would appreciate an apology for unjustly calling me a liar. I may have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm not a liar.

Dec 13, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 8
agreed, im mad confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back