I fried my beloved h120...help me decide on a replacement player...
Jan 9, 2006 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Turner_Brown

100+ Head-Fier
So I accidently used the wrong car charger on my iriver h120. How did I find out? Well, the smoke was a dead give away. Talk about a crappy day. I loved that thing. Needless to say I'm going to need a replacement stat. I am looking at the ipod video (even though I absolutely hate itunes). Ideally I would have something that had drag & drop capabilities, a min. of 20gb of hd space and a line out for my sr-71. I've seen those line out adapters for the ipods...do those work for the new video ipods? Where can I find one? Please offer me more players to choose from as I am not terribly excited about switching to apple. Thanks in advance.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, I can recommend against the H10 and current iRiver HDD players unless the price is very low. Its SQ is good but nothing too special, IMO, and amping it makes little improvement o my ears. The EQ is very flexible though, but you'll miss the optical-out that your iRiver has.

I got mine new for $200 CAD, which is a very good price, but for $300 retail, it's just not as versatile (no AAC, AIF, Lossless of any format, and limited WAV support) or as nice (size and design) as the 30Gb iPod.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
So I accidently used the wrong car charger on my iriver h120. How did I find out? Well, the smoke was a dead give away. Talk about a crappy day. I loved that thing. Needless to say I'm going to need a replacement stat. I am looking at the ipod video (even though I absolutely hate itunes). Ideally I would have something that had drag & drop capabilities, a min. of 20gb of hd space and a line out for my sr-71. I've seen those line out adapters for the ipods...do those work for the new video ipods? Where can I find one? Please offer me more players to choose from as I am not terribly excited about switching to apple. Thanks in advance.

There are plenty of programs that allow drag & drop without iTunes. I suggest EphPod because it's free, and if you're willing to dish out some cash for software, get Anapod Explorer.

About the line out, I suggest the Turbo Dock II, you can buy one by posting in there and he'll e-mail you with details. I believe its between 20 and 30 bucks shipped. Theres also the Pocket Dock (http://www.sendstation.com/) which has a usb or firewire connection.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJC252
There are plenty of programs that allow drag & drop without iTunes. I suggest EphPod because it's free, and if you're willing to dish out some cash for software, get Anapod Explorer.

About the line out, I suggest the Turbo Dock II, you can buy one by posting in there and he'll e-mail you with details. I believe its between 20 and 30 bucks shipped. Theres also the Pocket Dock (http://www.sendstation.com/) which has a usb or firewire connection.

anapod....sounds like a winner.

About the line out adapters... I don't mind buying the sik ram din and cutting off the firewire lead. Would the SQ of the turbo dock II be noticably better?

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 12
75% of the H1xx's I've seen die on the internet are from what you did....I've been so paranoid of this, I have people check in their various chargers at the door (cell phones, whatever) before they're even allowed in my house
biggrin.gif

If you really liked the H120...can I offer two suggestions:

1. I got an X5 as my "spare" DAP, even though I still have an H140. I really feel it's not a bad replacement for the H1xx. Drag and drop usage, folder tree view if you wish, similar extra abilities such as fm radio and recording, and no annoying DRM. The only downside I can think of is that the X5 has a worthless lineout, however the head-out sounds fantastic to my amp...very similar to the H140.

2. Since you have a dead H120 (read spare parts!) go here:

http://www.misticaudio.com/index.php...products_id=44

or here:

http://www.misticaudio.com/index.php...products_id=78

Enjoy you're "new" unit...and if anything ever needs to be replaced, you got it! (except for the motherboard/charging circuit that you fried)

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 12
I would get the unit serviced and if needed get some spare parts as wolfen68 suggested (it most probably can be done, but I don't know the cost of it without warranty). The next best thing is to replace the battery for the one of greater capacity and put there 40GB HDD. Toshiba's prices are very steep right now as they have just appeared, but I hope they'll get cheaper somewhat. I'm going to do the same thing with my iHP 140 and implement some 80GB HDD + the new battery. Currently there is no worthy substitute of 100 series on the market.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
His existing unit probably has a bad motherboard now from the wrong voltage. Getting a new battery (or harddrive) won't help.

Right you are. I just bought a 30gb video ipod off a friend for a rediculous low price. For good measure I am also going to buy a refurb'd h120. Like someone else said...I can use "old smokey" for spare parts. So there we have it. Expect a head to head lineout competition in the future.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
His existing unit probably has a bad motherboard now from the wrong voltage. Getting a new battery (or harddrive) won't help.

Well, I get the picture, certainly, and I meant getting the broken parts changed if possible (in this case probably motherboard).

Anyway, it doesn't matter as Turner_Brown went the iPod route.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 12
Unless you use the (not that fantastic IMO) optical out of the H1xx, the 5G iPod / X5 / H3xx are all viable alternatives since they are very similar in terms of sound quality, and all offer functional advantages over the H1xx. If you like native drag & drop, the X5 will probably be the no-brainer upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back