I found the missing bass notes ~ easy headphone mod.
May 30, 2010 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
I have made several posts here praising the sound coming through the Fostex T50RP ortho headphones, but at the same time lamenting the lack of bass. Then the other night as I was listening to them while lying down I happened to roll over onto my side and started to notice much better bass response. After first questioning my sanity, I then came up with other, less plausible theories to explain the phenomena and proceeded to experiment with pushing the headphone cups in verses their normal looser feel and sure enough the bass increased substantially, became tighter, and the overall sound became warmer when they were pressed in.

I have now modded them for a permanent bass increase by taking the headband; which in the case of the T50RP comes in a very wide and round arc in its stock form; and squeezing it together quite fiercely to put a permanent slight bend near the top giving them a more elliptical bend and tighter fit.

A nice side-benefit is that I ended up with a much more comfortable set of headphones as well, because the original wide arc of the headband rested only on the very top ridge of the skull which could get a little uncomfortable. Now they fit my oval shaped head much better and the extra clamping pressure of the cups is not a problem.

On a more general note, I have often wondered if the conflicting opinions about the bass quantity of various headphones could not only be just different preference levels of the listener, but also be the result of the different volumes at which individuals are listening. I now suspect it could also be due to the clamping differences on various sized heads. Is this due to getting the driver closer to the ears, or perhaps a better seal, or something else? Could it be that those with wider heads have been enjoying better bass all these years???

May 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Who would have thought having tighter headphones would result in improved bass response?
cool.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 3
I also wonder how volume affects the relative levels of each frequency coming out of headphones. The KSC75 sound are VERY tiny and horrible when they are only 1 inch from my ear but many open headphones can sound amazing when positioned at this same distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back