i found out why i'm hesitating.. Change in plans.. Sorry
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon
I guess I meant more "lower-mid mids" scoop. The D1001 has a pretty noticeable hump/spike in the the presence frequencies, which are in the upper mids/lower high freqs.

So you get the aggressiveness that makes Grados good for metal, with a little more mid bass, which I find good for metal.

oh ok, I haven't heard D1001 so I don't know exactly what you mean, what matters is that you enjoy your headphones with your music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. Guitars life are in the midrange, you want good and sharp midrange and punchy bass. V-style sound with boosted bass and treble but recessed mids is more suitable for electronic thump thump music IMHO.

MaZa knows what he's talking about, just look at his avatar, he means real metal business!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered something like a used Grado SR-225? They're awful...

I agreed with that much
evil_smiley.gif

sorry, that was a bad joke
biggrin.gif
a lot of people like Grados for metal.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I meant more "lower-mid mids" scoop. The D1001 has a pretty noticeable hump/spike in the the presence frequencies, which are in the upper mids/lower high freqs.

So you get the aggressiveness that makes Grados good for metal, with a little more mid bass, which I find good for metal.

Hey, that sounds pretty interesting headphone. And closed? I have to check it out then. I have yet to find good closed substitute for my sony and grado.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 70
ATH-M50 is another closed headphone good for metal, I prefer mine amped but other posters said they like it unamped too.
I like it because it sounds very natural, all the instruments were present without coloration and it has a full sound with plenty of controlled bass when needed.
Progressive rock and metal fans should check out this phone, Guitar Center has it for $150, I've seen it online for $100.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 70
Sounds like you want the D1001. I prefer it to the AD700. If you don't like the sound of open phones you def wont like the AD700. It's very open sounding, wide, thin. The d1001 is more full and punchy, with much better bass. Don't know how it would work with metal because I don't listen to that stuff, but I like them for everything else.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, where do you live?
Im in mumbai, and if we are in the same city, you can try out my ad700's.
But, im going to dubai tomorrow, and will be returning on the 1st.

no im in bangalore man...
i think going for a closed pair would take all this worry off my mind... and i can use a closed pair out of my house too if i need to.. so i guess ill just go for either the denon or the m50... from what i read, the m50 should be better overall.. yes? no?

and what amp should i be using with these? pa2v2? e5?

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered something like a used Grado SR-225? They're awfully good for metal and rock. I've heard a few Denons and Audio-Technicas, but nothing rocks like a Grado.

This. My SR225i sounds wonderful with metal.

But if the OP needs closed, I think the D1001 would suit him the best.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #24 of 70
hmmm... looks like the denon's are pretty popular... is the sound good straight out of the box or do you need to do the recable? coz on some other topics ppl have said the sound is much better after the recable.. and im not ready to pay extra for one right now... if the m50 sounds better id rather pay $15 more and go for that..
(like i said i wanna make this decision once and stick with it..)

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 70
Recabling is often the last thing you do after building your music rig. There are far more important things that affect the sound more dramatically, source, amplifier and all. Recabling is used for last fine tuning and tweaking, and even that is bit controversial subject as it is often fighted if different cables change the sound or not. I, for example, have never heard a difference by changing cables so far.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #26 of 70
Yeah, recabling doesn't do all that much to the D1001 if you ask me. Maybe a very tiny difference. I wouldn't worry about it. I think those that recabled them WANT to hear a big difference after putting all their hard work into it, so they do.

They're fine out of the box. And I think one of their very biggest merits is their size. They pack a big sound in a very portable package. And theyr'e one of the few midrange phones that doesn't have a crazy long cable. It comes stock at 4' and comes with a cable extension if you want it longer.

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 70
Why would anybody want any kind of "scooped"? To me, the flattest possible response is always ideal.
For $150, the DT770 Pro/80s are phenominal closed cans with very flat response, tremendous detail at all frequencies (especially bass), and the kind of big, airy soundstage normally associated with open phones.

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #29 of 70
DT770 Pro is far from flat. Its midrange is recessed, something you dont want with metal if you want presence and power for guitars. Bass power is nice though.

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 70
I was just going to say that the DT770 has a scooped midrange FWIR.

intoart, you should really audition more headphones and spend some time with them before you make more definitive claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back