I found myself watching Requiem for a Dream again today, I hate to love this movie.
Mar 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
I assume many people saw this movie already.
Great work by Darren Aronofsky - along with pi and The fountain( which I liked a bit, not as much as other two).

I have no idea why, but this movie makes me sick every time I watch it - does anyone else have the same experience?

I know that this is wonderful movie, but it makes my stomach turn.

I think it's 6th time I've watched this movie
mad.gif

What are your thoughts on this movie? This is one of my favorite movie of all time. Are there any movies that are similar to this? (in terms of powerful presentation and the ability to make you feel sick).

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 31
There's a french canadian movie called "irreversible", check it out.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 31
@hanalei mike - hahah LOL

to the OP: I think the point of the movie is to show reality in such reality that it makes you sick to your stomach with the predicament the characters get themselves into. In any case I like the movie.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 31
oh yeah, if you haven't seen "happiness" it's another gooder.
great first date movie. will save you lots of time.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 31
I find the movie pretty revolting and unenjoyable, I know it was the aim of it though. When I knew this addict he would watch it and be all sad about it, and then proceed to do 'more' later in the day. Which is why I just don't think those d.a.r.e. commercials on tv works.

I prefer A Scannar Darkly with similar theme, but has a bit more overall objective look at it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 31
I appreciate the movie because it portrays reality. And that is why some find it shocking and revolting. But it's important, and I'm willing to go through the negatives to remember / stay aware

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a french canadian movie called "irreversible", check it out.

"ass to ass, ass to ass"

I couldn't watch Irreversible, the rotating camera was too annoying. Might have been an awesome film, just couldn't bear the camera work.

Requiem is a great film. Most people find it depressing, I think it's actually uplifting. Watch it and say "at least I'm not them".
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the movie pretty revolting and unenjoyable, I know it was the aim of it though. When I knew this addict he would watch it and be all sad about it, and then proceed to do 'more' later in the day. Which is why I just don't think those d.a.r.e. commercials on tv works.

I prefer A Scannar Darkly with similar theme, but has a bit more overall objective look at it.

d.a.r.e. does not work, actually. Neither does gross anti-smoking campaigns. You just go "oh god, that's depressing - I need a smoke".
I think movie got its point across though - drugs = bad

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 31
I didn't even take aspirin for like six months after watching that movie. Then I was with my friend Silvia and she recommended that movie to a mutual friend. I responded with, "Just so you know, Silvia hates you."

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 31
I loved the movie. I felt so bad afterwards (not sick though). Beautifully made and I like that "down" feeling when a movie is done.
The other 2 you mentioned are great as well.

I recently watched The Hours (with music from Philip Glass) and also gave me that "down" feeling afterwards, though different than Requiem ofcourse but beautiful also.

If you wanna feel sick again watch Itchi the Killer, truly awesome disgusting movie! It definitely has a powerful presentation!

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 31
EyeAmEye;3925559 said:
I couldn't watch Irreversible, the rotating camera was too annoying. Might have been an awesome film, just couldn't bear the camera work.

If I remember correctly, the camera is only like that for the first 5-10 mins. I saw it a while ago, but I remember is being quite good, and shoking on a few levels.

mike

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 31
Wow. On this, a forum mainly dedicated to audio, nobody has mentioned the absolutely fantastic soundtrack not to mention the sound work in general this movie has. On a good 5.1 setup this movie is an absolute treat. The movie as a whole is on my top 10 list somewhere, though I couldn't tell ya where.

While I didn't feel sick or anything after watching Requiem, I did have a strange feeling come over me that I can't quite put into words. I felt much the same way after watching Donnie Darko and No Country for Old Men, which are two totally different films. I guess I'll call it "A great movie" feeling. It definitely had me thinking for a while afterwards, I'll tell ya that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back