I found a Furman SP-20... Is it any good?
Apr 23, 2006 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ikrit42

100+ Head-Fier
I found a Furman SP-20 amp in my attic, I think it got scavenged during the failure of my dad's last startup.

Has anyone heard/owned/known anything about this amp? I was thinking of building a cmoy, (not for portability, though), but now...

Also, I read in this thread that I should be careful with what jacks/plugs I use?
Would a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cable, with two RCA to 1/4" mono adapters be acceptable? Or will I kill the amp?
confused.gif

Edit: fixed the link.

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 3
Your link is missing an "h." this is the correct one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have never used a Furman headphone amp, but I'm very well familiar with their power conditioning products. Everything the produce is very well constructed and extremely rugged. I used one of their power conditioners on my headphone rig until I got my Monster. The Monster was a vast improvement, but to be fair, the Furman I used (the original PL-8) is a mid-ranged model at best. I don't know if a Furman headphone amp might be up to audio snob standards, but I am positive it would have top notch construction, and sound far better than the headphone out on any consumer receiver or professional mixing board.

Unbalanced RCA-> 1/4" cables will not kill the amp, just about any pro piece of equipment that uses 1/4" TRS can fall back to single ended mode when a TR plug is inserted. At worst, you just won't have any sound. I'd suggest giving it a listen and letting your ears tell you how good it is.

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks.

I did some research, and it looks like the SP-20 is more of a power amp than a dedicated headphone amp. Still, I'm planning on getting a Chaintech AV-710 soon, and it's nice line out (not the normal one) won't be able to drive my MS-1s.

So far, and I've listened for about five minutes, it sounds like there's more pronounced and fuller bass with the amp. My current source is a Karajan onboard thing on my motherboard, but it's actually very good for an onboard thing, and beats out most soundblaster cards below the audigy level.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back