(i fixed it)WHAT IS THE POINT OF TWO HEADPHONE JACKS IF ONLY ONE WORKS AT A TIME?!?!!?!
Sep 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 14
If you're referring to sound cards, it depends on the sound card. Some sound cards let you set independent front and rear stereo jacks. Otherwise, the general idea is that people have headphones plugged into the front and speakers plugged into the back, and they will plug in the headphones when they want to use it so the rear jack should automatically mute.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 14
it's on my laptop. they are on the front, and side by side and to the right of that is the mic input.

ive been googling for a solution, but have been striking out.

they work independently of each other, but not together.

i understand your point about the front to back, but i dont get why they would do this on the laptop.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 14
port_____picture of headphones_____port

i usually use the left port. if i unplug from that port and plug into the right port, it works the same. but i cant have two pairs of headphones plugged in at the same time.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Two of the ports on my M1330 are headphone ports. I'm sure the sound driver has something to do with it. I remember changing the audio drivers on it, and only one of them works after I changed drivers. Since I long returned it, I can't verify it.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 14
Upgrading the drivers fixed it.

I initially did the automatic driver update scan and it came back as up to date.

Then I went to the Dell website...selected my computer...there is a driver update for Vista 64 but I only have 32. I downloaded and installed that driver anyway, and it worked.

I gained some extra balance and 5.1 settings as well.

That saved me twenty bucks on a splitter. For now anyway. =D

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 14
Realtek HDA can re-map signals to different ports. How your jacks can tell the difference between an input and output device is beyond me. Probably something to do with test signals.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 14
Great..Good job...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back