I finished my MINT!! (Correctly posted)
Apr 2, 2004 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
(Not sure why the server timed out earlier)

Yeah, big deal, just a MINT. But it's cool to me. This has taken me so long. The first time I tried, it worked perfectly. Then all the troubles started when I cut the board and tried to mount it in the small space of a MINT tin.

Since then, I have tried a few more times. But I would always have problems like bad board splitting, ordering the wrong resistor sizes (too fat), finding out I got the wrong cases, etc.

I think for a MINT I could have comissioned for $80, I probably spent 3x that much. WOW!

This build was perfect though. Now it's sitting in the same Serpac case as my Headsave Meta42 (Transit?). It's on a Elpac adapter right now. It can take 2x9V batteries too!

Lessons learned -

1. Twist wires together as much as you can. My problem with the first build was that the solder points would break off from the stress. I only had one break this time and it didn't take too long to fix.

2. Use twist ties. Mini twist ties are your friend and allow you to put stress without breaking joints.

3. Heatshrink is your friend too! This was expecially useful on lugs that you can solder to in a line (for instance power switches and DC Jacks). I didn't have a heatgun so I had to use a lighter. Not the best idea but it works.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Tangent especially. Sal was really helpful too. And everyone else who answered my dozens of questions in the last few months.

I'll post pictures tonight or next week!

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Congratulations! I found making my MINT amp to be difficult also with 2 batteries. There isn't much space in there. They do sound great and are a nice design though.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Now with pictures!

Click here for full album

normal_IMG_1392.JPG

normal_IMG_1382.JPG

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 7
very nice!

it took me 2 tries to build my mint amp, they're a pain. i also learned the value of heatshrink tubes. on my first attempt, everything worked perfectly until i tried to put it in the altoids tin. cramming all of that stuff in there made the small bit of stripped input hookup wire by the pcb touch eachother, short out, and fry the op-amp. getting the op-amp off was difficult (didn't know to add solder.. i tried to get it all off and pry the chip off.. oops), as i accidentally ripped up the pcb. so i started from scratch with a new pcb and got a nicer hammond case. i'm lovin it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Nice, congrats!

I have parts for a MINT on their way to me right now. I'll take your advice on twisting wires together - my CMoy was a mess
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I still need to get one part. I think they sell Altoids at the convenience store across the street..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back