I finally understand the awesomeness of Grado headphones.
Apr 3, 2008 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

somedumbgamer

New Head-Fier
I'm a semi-audiophile; have been one ever since around last year. And hearing all this talk about how wonderful Grado headphones are, I decided to give them a try and got a pair of SR80s. And honestly, I did not see why people loved Grado headphones so much. They sounded mediocre, the design was way too flimsy, the ear pads weren't even soft, and the way it rested on my ears was quite uncomfortable. And to top it all off, one month after I got them, the right headphone fell off, even though I always left it in my room and never took it around at all. It was just more proof that Grado wasn't so great afterall. So I just left it sitting in my room, gathering dust and broken.

So for several months, I just didn't understand why Grado headphones were so great. Instead, I just enjoyed my other headphones: Sennheiser HD280, HD595, and Equation RP-21s. I got the HD595s a few months ago, and they sounded absolutely incredible when I first got them.

But then I took a look back at my Grados, and since it's almost been a year since I got them, I was afraid the warranty was going to wear off. So I sent it into Grado for repairs last month, and they came back a week or two ago. Took it out of the box; right headphone was intact and wasn't going to fall off. So I plugged them in and listened, and...

Wow. It sounded INCREDIBLE. Maybe it was just some weird audio nostalgia, or maybe Grado Labs injected a whole keg of audio whoopass into them before shipping them back to me, but they just sounded incredible. Even better than my HD595s. Or maybe it's better to say that my HD595s just sound... different. They seem to sound more... fuzzy, I guess. But the clear, crisp sounding awesomeness of Grado definitely gets my pick.

Yeah, I definitely see (hear) why Grado rocks now. I'm not sure why I couldn't hear it before. But as awesome as they sound, my complaints still remain: They're too flimsy and uncomfy on the ears! Or maybe all this Grado talk has just caused some placebo effect to take place. Hmm...

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 15
That fuzzy sound that you experienced with the HD-595's are probably the Sennheiser Veil that is part of the Sennheiser Sound.

I like switching between my HD-600's and SR-225 for different kinds of music.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 15
I'll finally be discovering the awesomeness of Grados in about...8 hours, when I expect my first ever set of Grado SR80s to arrive at my door.

Question, though: How is "Grado" pronounced?

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll finally be discovering the awesomeness of Grados in about...8 hours, when I expect my first ever set of Grado SR80s to arrive at my door.

Question, though: How is "Grado" pronounced?

Been many topics about that, but I guess I'll forgive you.
wink.gif

Pronounced: Gray-dough.

True story.
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 15
Is that an Italian name?
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been many topics about that, but I guess I'll forgive you.
wink.gif

Pronounced: Gray-dough.

True story.
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 15
You have to break-in the bowls before it becomes comfortable. Many people wash them (I don't know what they wash it with) or just let it break-in over time with use. I didn't wash my bowl pads, instead I just wore them and let the oil from my ears soften up the pads.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 15
Yea, same here, I didn't realize how amazing Grado is until I brought the GS-1000.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that an Italian name?

Yes, it is Italian, but it is pronounced like it's American. This was discussed before. If you call Grado direct you'll hear "Grey-dough"
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That fuzzy sound that you experienced with the HD-595's are probably the Sennheiser Veil that is part of the Sennheiser Sound.

I like switching between my HD-600's and SR-225 for different kinds of music.

the 'Sennheiser Veil' doesn't seem to be present in the HD25-1's though. they're actually nearly as forward as the Grado's, in comparison to the rest of the range.

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 'Sennheiser Veil' doesn't seem to be present in the HD25-1's though. they're actually nearly as forward as the Grado's, in comparison to the rest of the range.

yep yep, the HD25-1's are awesome lil cans, nice bass & detailed highs

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Grr. I don't like to say Grey-dough.

I cant decide if when I go to the store and ask them if they carry them, he will think I'm an idiot if I use the right pronunciation and a guy that knows his stuff will think I'm stupid if I use the wrong one.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cant decide if when I go to the store and ask them if they carry them, he will think I'm an idiot if I use the right pronunciation and a guy that knows his stuff will think I'm stupid if I use the wrong one.

There's no wrong actually, just different ways of pronouncing it. For example Americans say 'I raq', while British and British Commonwealth countries would say 'e raq', same with Nikon, 'nigh kon' and 'nee kon', or anti, 'an tie' and 'an tee'

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We need to stop worrying about what others might think. And the guy at the store probably has other things on his mind
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Heh.
smily_headphones1.gif
I pronounce it Grah-do. I grew up in a section of Toronto with approximately 50% Italian population, so I somewhat prefer that pronunciation.

I also recently discovered the awesomeness of Grado cans with my own recently-purchased SR80s. I love the contrast with my HD 280 Pros, the SR80s are very nice, punchy cans that sound great out of the box, though I'm letting mine burn in for a few days as I type this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I gotta get an amp...

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Glad the OP has come to enjoy his Grado headphones.
To those discussing the very non-new topic of pronouncing the name of the company this has been addressed already. John and Joe Grado themselves pronounce it GRAY-Dough and if you were talk to them on the phone you would hear the correct way of this word spoking..yes they are italian and this is their last name. I for one, since inhabiting the US as this company does, wish to pronounce the name as the Mfr intends it be spoken our of respect and knowledge to the organization. ( I had to make a conscious effort myself to pronounce the name this way and prefer to do so, being Italian ). Anyone is free to say the name however I suppose. However, I also don't pronounce Sony, Senn, or Bose names as SAW-ny, SEENHEES-er, or BOZ-ee either, so cool beans
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back