I finally ordered a MPX3
Sep 16, 2004 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tone

100+ Head-Fier
After about a year or so of being without a headphone amp i finally broke down and ordered one ( i previously had a asl mg head and a rkv mk2)! I ended up ordering the black 6sn7 mpx3 with the jensen paper in oil capacitors, solen stage 3 upgrade, and the preamp output upgrades.

The singlepower line has been getting fantastic reviews and i was getting sick of listening thru the headphone jack of my scd-222es cd player so i finally decided to take the plunge.

Mikhail says i should be getting the amp sometime next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
Mikhail says i should be getting the amp sometime next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

wow, that's a fast delivery time.
cool.gif
Mikhail has a few people helping with the building of most of his amps so I guess that helps a lot.

the one I have on order is a custom job, and the case has to be custom ordered on top of that so it'll be a while until I get mine. worth the wait for sure though.
biggrin.gif
(highly modified / upgraded balanced SDS)

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 34
I will be using the sennheiser hd600 headphones (w/stock cable for now) or the beyer dt831 headphones. I ordered the mpx3 a couple of weeks ago btw.

unfortunately the amp has to go ontop of the cd player since i have no other place to put the amp right now. maybe i set them side by side on the floor until i can get a decent rack setup.
blink.gif

congrads on the sds monster custom amp ayt999! for myself i wanted excellent soundstage+bass so mikhail pointed me to the 2 upgrades that i eventually decided to get. my troubled rkv that i used to own had monster soundstage+bass so i can't wait to see how this amp compares.

please post pics when you do get the amp. i will do the same when i get my amp.
600smile.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
I ordered the mpx3 a couple of weeks ago btw.

that makes more sense.
tongue.gif

I'll definitely post pictures of the amp once I get it. I think I'll even have a meet to show it off.

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 34
Congrats on your new amp. Check out the Singlepower tube rolling thread when you get ready to take the tuberolling plunge.
icon10.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 34
I'd be interested in hearing which headphones you have as well. I've heard that the HD650 goes well with the Singlepower - I can't wait to hear for myself soon!

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 34
Thanks guys!

I'll be using the sennheiser HD600 and the beyerdynamics dt831 headphones. A friend of mine has some grados (rs1 i think) that i'll have to try out with the amp.

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 34
nice, i cant wait for mine either I hope i get it soon

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
nice, i cant wait for mine either I hope i get it soon

Brian, you ended up with the MPX? I thought you got the PPX, did you change for any particular reason?

I ordered the PPX3 with the PIO Caps, solen stage 1 upgrade, and the preamp output upgrades. He quoted me less then 2 weeks time to build. I can't wait! Now I need to order some HD 650's if I could just find a place that has them in stock for around $350 - $360. My a900's just got here yesterday, and I can't wait to hear them on the PPX too, although I've heard an amp does not due much for the a900's

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 34
i ended up ordering a mpx3-6cg7 with solen stage 1, extra headphone jack and rca cleartops

edit: no i never upgraded or changed my mind from a ppx, i just chose to get the mpx3 instead

Sep 17, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 34
Congratulations. Your MPX3 is going to be very similiar to the one I got a few weeks ago (Solen Stage 3, Jensen PIO caps, but I don't have the pre-amp output).

I originally used 2 Sylvania VT-231 (in the outputs) and 1 Ken-Rad VT-231 (in the driver position) and was just a little concerned about all the bass I was hearing (to me it was still a big improvement over my previous amp, however). Eventually I think I got used to it, but I was tempted to try what a highly touted Tung Sol round plate tube sounded like in the driver position (to replace the Ken Rad, which is supposed to be a bit bass heavy), so I placed an order with Len (the same one that has already posted in this thread).

I received 2 Tung Sols two days ago and I am now very happy with the amp...the Tung Sol combined with the 2 Sylvania VT-231s makes it really sing. I haven't tried using 2 Tung Sols with 1 Sylvania...I'll report back if that is an improvement over the 1 TS + 2 Syl setup.

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 34
Thanks for the tube notes Scrith. I'll definetly keep an eye out for your tube rolling comments since we have the same upgrades!

In your profile it says that you have the Beyer dt831. Does the dt831 sound good when it is hooked up to the mpx3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back