I finally "got" Ellliott Smith. Ever happen for you that way? With what musicians?
Apr 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #31 of 50
Pink Floyd and Bjork, definitely.

I now consider Wish You Were Here one of my top-five favourite albums of all time.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd and Bjork, definitely.

I now consider Wish You Were Here one of my top-five favourite albums of all time.

Ditto on Pink Floyd....& Wish You Were Here in particular.. Bjork I still can't like, and I've tried to...

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #33 of 50
Embarrassed to admit it but...

Bob Dylan took me forever to appreciate.

I thought he was just "Blowing in the Wind" folky-hippy stuff.

It took "Like a Rolling Stone" and the "Blood on the Tracks" album for me to really get into him. Now I have almost all his recordings. I'm even starting to appreciate the hippy stuff.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #35 of 50
Another one that had a hard time with Arcade Fire. I even posted about it here. What finally tipped me was hearing Neighborhoods #3 (power out) on the radio in the middle of a huge traffic jam.

One of my favorite bands now.

Sad to say i still don't "feel" Elliot Smith like some here do. I can respect him intellectually but he doesn't stir my soul.

Now Jeff Buckley on the other hand.... I heard hallelujah (which is a cover of a great Leonard Cohen song) once and i was totally hooked. I was crushed when he drowned a couple of years later

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #36 of 50
Meshuggah took me a while to really appreciate. Although when I first heard their music I did "like" it, I couldn't listen for very long without getting a headache or getting annoyed. I basically couldn't really enjoy it, even though I saw the genius in it. About a year later I pulled their music out and really was able to get into it. I just think that I wasn't quite accustomed yet to syncopated and polyrhythmic beats, so even though I found it really interesting, it wasn't quite enjoyable to me yet.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #37 of 50
heres a couple biggies for me that i 'got' late in the game. the first sinead o'connor album 'the lion and the cobra' hit me like a ton of bricks after a long time of thinking it was dull. the album 'empire' by queensryche was that way too. and the 'ayreon' stuff was that way. at first i thought it was cheesy, but now i dig it.

and 'opeth'. big time. i hated death metal with it's gutteral singing style until i heard opeth... i only listened because i heard steve wilson produced them... at first i couldn't stomach it, then i got them.

elliot smith i liked instantly.

antiman

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 50
Elliott Smith was an instant favorite the very first time I heard him. So haunting and intimate.

Slint's Spiderland took me a while because the first couple times I thought it was boring and gave up. After getting Talk Talk's "Laughing Stock" (amazing album btw, and well-recorded too) I decided to give Spiderland another chance and now I'm hopelessly addicted.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #39 of 50
I can't imagine not liking Floyd from the get go!

Here's one that's easy to understand: The Flaming Lips "In a Priest Driven Ambulance". Very annoying sound to Wayne's voice in that era... until it "clicked" and all of a sudden it worked for me.

Oh yeah! Thinking about Wayne Coyne's voice made me think of Ralph Stanley. Hated his voice for a while, then suddenly came around.

I admire Roscoe Holcomb, but sometimes he's still a little too much even for me.

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and 'opeth'. big time. i hated death metal with it's gutteral singing style until i heard opeth... i only listened because i heard steve wilson produced them... at first i couldn't stomach it, then i got them.

I was gonna mention Opeth as well. Yet another band that took me a couple tries to like. Death Metal--like all metal, really--needs to be given some time. It's difficult to like at first but it's really, really worth it to take the time to appreciate it.

I've basically decided not to write off any new music anymore without giving it a solid 3-5 listens first.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna mention Opeth as well. Yet another band that took me a couple tries to like. Death Metal--like all metal, really--needs to be given some time. It's difficult to like at first but it's really, really worth it to take the time to appreciate it.

I've basically decided not to write off any new music anymore without giving it a solid 3-5 listens first.

That's basically what I've come to as well...not to be a "snob" about it. Well, except for corporate pop & the crap pop-so-called-country music....

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #42 of 50
In response to the OP: Babes In Toyland

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I admire Roscoe Holcomb, but sometimes he's still a little too much even for me.

I mostly enjoy his voice (piercing as it can be), but my office-mates can't handle it.

May 9, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #43 of 50
Yeah I totalll applaud falang for sticking it to the man and not being a corporate tool. Us hipsters have to stick together at American Apparel.

No I'm just kidding but I probably listen to alot the same music. I remember the first time I listened to the national I was just like "BORING" next cd. Now I really like it and I just bought Boxer, really good CD. I feel like you kind of need to be an adult to like The National, just not for everyone maybe. Arcade fire too, put it in..listened... "This is noise ahh so much eject." Now Funeral is probably my favorite CD and I saw them live in October, awesome. I figured no one really listened to the Wrens either but I scoured some used CD stores for the meadowlands and picked it up and they are pretty accessible. THing about them is they aren't the best...like musicians...certainly not singers. I mean the drum parts aren't too hard, their guitarist is really good though. I think he's touring with Okkervil river now, people should listen to them. Wrens are just so honest though it's sweet.

Sorry for the long post but I agree with a previous poster...forget who, that you really need to give decent CDs a few spins before you make a judgement. Listen, give it a day or two. Yeah that getting it moment is awesome so everyone keep listening.

May 10, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #45 of 50
Ah yes...happened to me more times than I can count!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Clash, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel, Bruce Springsteen...happens all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back