I finally Did it !!
May 2, 2006 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Happytab

Head-Fier
After weeks and weeks of fannying about, reading every flippin thread about headphones at the lower end of the market and getting myself more and more confused, I have finally just placed an order for my new headphones.

1 set of PortaPro's will soon be winging there way to me to start there hopefully happy relationship with my ipod and hopefully my ears.

In some ways I am glad I have finally made a decision but I do have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomache.

I paid £27 including postage which I guess is an ok price.

In the end I decided to go with these for home use and the occasional lunch hour at work.

Part of me would have liked to have gone closed for the isolation but I just couldn't risk the clamping effect or any sort of discomfort at all.

I hope I made the righrt decision. Please tell me I did good ?

May 2, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 21
Someone stole me thread!
tongue.gif

Well, congratulations anyways. You've made a good choice. Time to upgrade! Yes...already.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytab
Part of me would have liked to have gone closed for the isolation but I just couldn't risk the clamping effect or any sort of discomfort at all.

I hope I made the righrt decision. Please tell me I did good ?

Personally I would have gone for the PX100s for a little less via Amazon Marketplace, but you are still getting a great set of 'phones for the money.

When you have a few spare pounds you could pop into Argos and buy a set of HD201s for 14.99 for the occasions that you do need closed 'phones, they are very light and comfortable as long as you ears aren't huge.

Simon

May 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 21
I wish someone had warned me about my wallet when I first joined HeadFi.
Congrats on the cans. Smart to go for a bang for the buck can.

May 3, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic
Personally I would have gone for the PX100s for a little less via Amazon Marketplace, but you are still getting a great set of 'phones for the money.

When you have a few spare pounds you could pop into Argos and buy a set of HD201s for 14.99 for the occasions that you do need closed 'phones, they are very light and comfortable as long as you ears aren't huge.

Simon

Obviously the PX100's were up there and were nearly purchased but in the end the comfort factor swayed me to the PortaPro's (although I think the PX100's look better.

May 6, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 21
What a disaster this whole experience has been - so it took me over a month reading reviews until I am sick and reading forums until I am blind - now I have my PortaPro's and they are about to go on Ebay
mad.gif

Don't get me wrong - they sound as you have all said, amazing, but when you all said they leaked I didn't realise how much !! It took my wife about 20 secs too tell me they were too loud and, as half the time I use my Ipod is on the sofa at home, It simpy isn't goin to work.

I don't know what is more upsetting - the hassle of having to ebay them or having to start all over again.

Maybe I will just go with EP-630's -all the closed cans seems to have death grip on your ears and I couldn't cope with that.

Are the EP630's a noticable step up from Ipod buds ?

Thanks again for your help - If only there was somewhere to audition these phones somewhere local ! They even pack them so once you have opened them you can not return then ! It's all very upsetting !

May 6, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Death grip? I don't find the MDR-V6 bad at all, and they are quite sealed.

May 6, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 21
Why has this choice been so difficult for you? Simply choosing a $30 headphone?
confused.gif

There are many models that are accepted as sounding decent around here... consensus is amazingly good, given people's varying preferences. Dunno why you had to read your eyes blind to choose a pair of lower-end cans to go with your iPod. Just go to Headroom and browse their lists... they won't steer ya wrong in the price range you're looking.

May 6, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 21
fewtch said:
Why has this choice been so difficult for you? Simply choosing a $30 headphone?
confused.gif

QUOTE]

More like 50$ US. Could've gotten an SR-60 used for that much. O well.

May 6, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytab
Maybe I will just go with EP-630's -all the closed cans seems to have death grip on your ears and I couldn't cope with that.

Are the EP630's a noticable step up from Ipod buds ?

Thanks again for your help - If only there was somewhere to audition these phones somewhere local ! They even pack them so once you have opened them you can not return then ! It's all very upsetting !

I absolutely love my EP-630s. Believe me, there is no "death grip" to them, they are in fact as insanely comfortable, nice snug, but not harsh fit in the ear. They have incredible sound and top notch isolation. On volume full blast on most DAPs, the person next to you wont be able to hear the music.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back