I finally did it! I got rid of the veil!
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Jeff Graw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, having just installed vista on my new computer I got a shock when I looked at the audio panel, there were so many new options! Unfortunately, Vista detected the Total Bithead as a 2.1 speaker amp and not a headphones amp. Vista didn't provide any way to correct this mistake, so instead of the headphone virtualization option I had the virtual surround (meant for 2 speaker systems) instead. Just yesterday I decided to enable virtual surround just to see what it sounded like (I expected it to sound horrible) but was pleasantly surprised. Along with a bit of cross fade from the Bithead the veil on my HD650's had disappeared. Everything sounded more close and immediate when it sounded distant and removed before. Some of the positioning sounds a little quirky (as is to be expected) but I much prefer what I have now to the veiled sound I had before.

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 38
what you come to learn with the HD650 is that there is and never was a veil but just a laid back slightly dark hued sound signature that sounds better or worse depending on the source/amplification.

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 38
Believe me there is a veil, that's why I changed them for the HD600's so much better
rs1smile.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me there is a veil, that's why I changed them for the HD600's so much better
rs1smile.gif

May i ask you what is your setup gentleman?

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 38
Oh, there's definitely a veil. I think it has to do with the positioning of the drivers and the source material more than anything. No amount of EQing removed the veil for me, but toggling one attribute in Vista that I, if anything, expected to significantly degrade sound quality did.

The weird thing is that I had music before that seemed to be just un-listenable on the HD650's. Stuff like Live's Throwing Copper album sounded so dead and distant. Now everything is more close, immediate, and personal. The sound stage is still large, but everything sounds more alive and energetic. It's very hard to explain it, but it's been a complete night-and-day transformation for me.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Graw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, having just installed vista on my new computer I got a shock when I looked at the audio panel, there were so many new options! Unfortunately, Vista detected the Total Bithead as a 2.1 speaker amp and not a headphones amp. Vista didn't provide any way to correct this mistake, so instead of the headphone virtualization option I had the virtual surround (meant for 2 speaker systems) instead. Just yesterday I decided to enable virtual surround just to see what it sounded like (I expected it to sound horrible) but was pleasantly surprised. Along with a bit of cross fade from the Bithead the veil on my HD650's had disappeared. Everything sounded more close and immediate when it sounded distant and removed before. Some of the positioning sounds a little quirky (as is to be expected) but I much prefer what I have now to the veiled sound I had before.

The 650's are not veiled! They are the best sounding headphone under a $1000. imo.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 38
The HD650s can be veiled or not veiled depending on how well your ear matches the average ear that was used to create the particular equalization the HD650 uses.

Personally, I do not hear it.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650s can be veiled or not veiled depending on how well your ear matches the average ear that was used to create the particular equalization the HD650 uses.

Personally, I do not hear it.

That actually sounds like a very good explanation. I myself do hear the veil quite clearly.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 38
The so-called veil dissapears as soon as you use a tube amp. I remember, my first time that I plug my HD600 to a tube amp. I said, wow. I never looked back. Yes, HD600 also has the so- called veil. I tried so many different mods to get rid of that, until I discovered Tube amps!. That's the cure.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 38
I think, the veil in this headphones (HD650 / 600) is due to not been properly driven. These babies, as soon as they see the right amp, they send you the sign!, get this amp, get it, open the wallet, what are you waiting for, I said, get it!!. , ddd...xxxxxx.....x.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The so-called veil dissapears as soon as you use a tube amp. I remember, my first time that I plug my HD600 to a tube amp. I said, wow. I never looked back. Yes, HD600 also has the so- called veil. I tried so many different mods to get rid of that, until I discovered Tube amps!. That's the cure.

Hmm... I don't know what you are listening to but the HD650 and WooAudio 3 produce the veil quite well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think, the veil in this headphones (HD650 / 600) is due to not been properly driven. These babies, as soon as they see the right amp, they send you the sign!, get this amp, get it, open the wallet, what are you waiting for, I said, get it!!. , ddd...xxxxxx.....x.

But I don't have a good amp (I only have a Total Bithead) and I got rid of the veil by changing a setting in the Vista audio control panel. How do you explain that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back