I feel so incomplete
Aug 24, 2004 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

remilard

500+ Head-Fier
I got my Benchmark Dac1, I got my chaintech av-710, I got my banana hanger, the only thing I am missing is my HD650s which I will be ordering as soon as they are available from Todd or Headroom. I even took a picture of my empty banana hanger but it was too sad to post.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have the ER4s and they sound great with the dac1 surprisingly. A lot of people say that the dac1 is bass weak and bright, which is, as we all know, the same criticism the etys get. The etys are no brighter than I have heard with any other source and the bass is the best I have heard. Admittedly the previous best setup I heard the etys on was my DV-563a and go-vibe. Suffice it to say, the dac1 + etys is very detailed. But I digress, I want the sennheisers!

Aug 24, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I got my Benchmark Dac1, I got my chaintech av-710, I got my banana hanger, the only thing I am missing is my HD650s which I will be ordering as soon as they are available from Todd or Headroom. I even took a picture of my empty banana hanger but it was too sad to post.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have the ER4s and they sound great with the dac1 surprisingly. A lot of people say that the dac1 is bass weak and bright, which is, as we all know, the same criticism the etys get. The etys are no brighter than I have heard with any other source and the bass is the best I have heard. Admittedly the previous best setup I heard the etys on was my DV-563a and go-vibe. Suffice it to say, the dac1 + etys is very detailed. But I digress, I want the sennheisers!

i had the er4s + dac-1 as my main setup for around a month and the etys were extremely treble heavy, the 'brightness' was worse than the xp-7 and the prehead, also it sounded real harsh as if the music was piercing my eardrums. yea the bass was nice, but still no match for what you can get from a high end amp.
i am waiting for my sennheisers from todd too
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah the etys definately aren't an ideal match, as soon as I can get the 650s the etys are back to portable only. In the near future I think I will add a singlepower amp, mpx3-6cq7 maybe into the mix, it will be interesting to try the etys there but I have no doubt that the 650s will be my home headphone of choice either way. Now that I have my dac1 I may take it down to a local store to listen to the 650s on it in the meantime, if they still have a demo in stock.

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
You sure do! HD650+DAC1 will put you straight in the heart of synergy city. Then you just have to save up for that balanced amp and cables
biggrin.gif

Is that your current plan? I'm not sure if I want to go that route or the singlepower route. I would love to hear the DAC1 with the gilmore balanced reference and HD650, or with any of the singlepower amps, I need to find someone in portland with these amps. My wallet will hate me if I do.

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Is that your current plan? I'm not sure if I want to go that route or the singlepower route. I would love to hear the DAC1 with the gilmore balanced reference and HD650, or with any of the singlepower amps, I need to find someone in portland with these amps. My wallet will hate me if I do.

I am happy enough with things that I am not really concerned about an amp. If I had a boatload of cash though, I'd probably set up a shootout of the Emmeline Stealth, Headamp Balanced Gilmore, and whatever Mikhail could cook up. Considering those options would cost more than my whole rig at this point, I'll be some time before I get to that point. I also think that I'll be getting some nice speakers before I buy another headphone amp.

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I'm not sure if I want to go that route or the singlepower route.

Get both and choose which ever you like the most
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Get both and choose which ever you like the most
biggrin.gif

"I pity the fool" who takes that advice. Or at least pity their wallet.

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 12
I am in the same boat as you fellas. The internal amp within the DAC1 is above the PIMETA level and far beyond that of most integrated amps. It approaches PPA-quality, but a DAC of this quality deserves even better amplification – since it can output a balanced signal then I must take advantage of that! I am considering only balanced amps now, and the Gilmore Reference, Blockhead and Supra XLR sit atop my list. With a source as good as the DAC1, which contains a built-in amp that is already very good, it doesn’t make any sense NOT to get a top-range amp. This is why I will be saving my pennies for a LONG time until I can afford such an amp (probably next summer)!
cool.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 12
We'll have to move this to the amp forum soon......

I kinda want to go balanced but don't know when I'll be able to afford it. Gilmore seems like the cheapest route < $2k for amp + senn cable iirc. I'm assuming the balanced supra will be at least $2k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back