I feel petty, but this annoyed me ...
Mar 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
A guy came over to audition a headphone of mine to see if he liked them enough to buy them. They weren't for him, but this is where I feel petty, but I don't think he even gave them a proper listen. He came over and just wanted to listen to them on his iPhone with mp3 files, even though he isn't buying them for that purpose specifically, he just wanted a rock headphone. I don't care that he didn't end up feeling they were for him, I sold them a few days latter, but I think if somebody goes to the trouble of hosting you in their home, it isn't unreasonable of them to want you, the prospective buyer to at least audition the headphones in a better system than an iPhone!

I tried to get him to listen to them through my source components because there is no way anybody should form an opinion of a headphone from an iPhone, unless that is the source they intend for the headphones (which it wasn't in this case as I understood things). He didn't spend more than 10 minutes listening, seemed unable to just sit still and listen, and his argument for not using my system was that I didn't have the exact same artists he listens to. However, I had really similar artists. Am I being unreasonable in thinking that as I was taking the time to provide him with a proper opportunity to hear what the headphones were about, and even though he was the customer, it would have been more fair to both of us if he had been more flexible in his approach? Like I said, it isn't that big a deal, I sold them to another head-fi member so it isn't sour grapes, I just somehow feel like my time wasn't respected. I'm sure I am over-reacting and this is just a rant. There, I feel better already. For the record he seemed like a really nice guy and I don't mean this as a personal attack. I'm not even sure why it has stayed in my mind?

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 32
This is off topic, but I thought the title said "I feel pretty." Hahaha! But anyways, I guess it's his choice if he didn't want to use your full headphone system. Maybe it was a little awkward for him. Since he's in someone else's house. I wouldn't know, I don't even like to buy things from a store in person, I get scared.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 32
This is off topic, but I thought the title said "I feel pretty." Hahaha! But anyways, I guess it's his choice if he didn't want to use your full headphone system. Maybe it was a little awkward for him. Since he's in someone else's house. I wouldn't know, I don't even like to buy things from a store in person, I get scared.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8

:D

Seriously, you get scared in a store?

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 32

Quote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8
biggrin.gif

Seriously, you get scared in a store?

Salespeople make me nervous. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 32
I feel similarly, and I sell a lot of things, salespeople try to **** you over and don't view you as a human, just potential dollar signs. If I make a large purchase in a store I get in there, grab the product, pay for said product, say I'm absolutely positive I'm not interested in anything else and leave.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 32
As far as the shopping in stores I don't usually mind it, but I hate when the salespeople are pushy about giving me a big pitch on things. With all the resources out there I do my own research on a product before buying it. But there is my little rant for this thread. Haha

OP I'll give you some backup, I would have been kinda frustrated with the guy for not giving the headphones more of a listen. Oh well probably was his loss.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 32
Understandable to feel that way about it, I probably would too.

I think you may have felt he was "unqualified" or something similar, to test your headphones?

It seems a lot of things in this world are about perspective. From your point of view, he didn't give the headphones a proper listen and effectively wasted your time, and his. He also made himself look like a fool while being oblivious to his own foolishness.

From his perspective, he may have half-way made up his mind about the headphones before he even stepped foot in your place, so he gave the set a "decent" 10 minute listening session, and maybe he's one of those people that don't think amps and other peripherals make a giant difference in the quality of sound, so he didn't think it was a big deal. When you asked him about testing the headphones with proper equipment, he probably already had his mind made up about them.

This post was entirely hypothetical.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 32
All you may need is some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which is very effective and designed to be a short term intervention (10 weeks approx). Do some research into it and I think you'll find it a non-threatening and effective therapy. Not sure how expensive, likely a range and if your lucky enough to have insurance to cover it, your golden. Good luck.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 32
What's the headphone the guy was auditioning? Yeah, I get how you feel. No need to feel petty. He is the customer but you're not Wal-Mart, the customer isn't always right for you. And what exact artists was he into?

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 32
Totally understand. When people try some headphones that should be amped, right out of their ipod and say the sound is no good... eeh.

However, what the guy did isn't entirely wrong. It is in my belief that you should try the headphones you buy in whatever habitat you intend it for. If the buyer is not planning to invest in a better DAP or an amp, or whatever, then he should audition headphones that will work with this own setup. Since you mention that he will not be using it solely with his iPhone, it is probable that he can get a general idea of its sound played on his own setup. (i.e. my headphone sounds mildly better out of my iphone than my laptop)

What you as a seller should just make sure is aware of the headphones being capable of a higher level performance. You gave him the opportunity. Heck, you had him in your house... unless he was being extremely considerate or... the sound signature was just very different from what he was looking for.

I for one would have tried one my own system as well. But heck, if I was offered the opportunity to try on a better system I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Headphones, like food, should be savored. No point wolfing it down, it just doesn't work as often.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 32
I disagree. The customer is almost always right.

You did not have to host him in your house. Even though it was a nice gesture that you did, it was still your choice to do so. But consider that he took the time to come to travel and come to your house, while you just had to wait for him and show him the cans. If he did not listen to wte you wanted him to listen to, it was his choice and freedom. You forcing him to listen to something just because you thought it could have amazed him does not justify your attitude toward your potential buyer.

Maybe he missed out on a great pair of headphones, but that was his loss. You feeling petty just because you could not convince someone your headphones and setup were the greatest thing ever made just shows a bit of arrogance and immaturity on your part. If he did not feel the headphones were right for wte reason, then it is his decision and right. Most consumers base decisions to buy on even less than trying the product out like he did.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 32
Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds for suggesting this: maybe you tied a part of your identity to your headphone? Or at least your choice in headphones. So that's why you felt...I don't know, miffed? Insulted? When he didn't give them an "adequate" audition.

To be fair, sometimes auditions only need a second. When a headphone has a completely wrong signature, or is a terrible product outright (vis a vis anything you've tried before, of course) then you just need to hear it once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back