I feel like I'm missing something... recommendations?
Aug 10, 2005 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I have not bought much music lately so yesterday I ordered the following CD's:

Orff: Carmina Burana / McNair, Aler, Hagegard; Slatkin

Pepe & the Bottle Blondes / Latenight Betty

Hilary Hahn / Bach: Violin Concertos [Hybrid SACD]

Alison Krauss & Union Station / Live (Multichannel Hybrid SACD)

Paris Combo / Living Room

311 / Don't Tread On Me

Brad Paisley / Time Well Wasted

I feel like I'm missing something from the rock/metal genre... any recommendations on something recently released that is bold and refreshing in this catagory?? (please no Green Day Blink 182 styles)

Something in the area of Mudvayne, TOOL, Stabbing Westward, NIN, Rammstein, or something from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers/Sublime genre - Thanks!

*edit - I know I've been on a posting spree but it's been really slow at work lately so insert head-fi
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 18
Hmm. Maybe you could check out some Porcupine Tree? I'm a fan of their new live album, Warszawa. That would probably be a good starting point.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 18
Gravity Kills
v/a, Songs from the Witchblade -- usually under soundtracks, but you might find them with the Babes In Toyland stuff

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Dusty Chalk & indiegirl89 - recent stuff guys... I have those already
biggrin.gif

upangel180 - Not bad... I'd like to be able to hear more than the 2 track samples available on Tower before I commit but they seem pretty kewl

Factor - sorry bro, I'm not really feelin these guys, thanks for the rec though
biggrin.gif

I think this is why I feel so burned out on the rock scene... everyone sounds like the Green Day/Blink bands or the Nickelback/Staind bands... it's really old.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
I assume you have Rammstein - Reise, Reise?

Oh yeah! ...I like Mutter better but it is good, excellent band live too!

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Try a quite different approach to metal/rock, Sentenced. If you're bored to US/UK modern metal/rock sound, this should be refreshingly different. More of a scandinavian sound, but not as extreme, as most stuff in ie. darkest desires thread. From Down (or Amok) and forward every album is worthy, though the style is quite different beetween Down/Forzen/Crimson era and Cold White Light/The Funeral Album.

www.sentenced.org has lots of samples and videos.

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 18
you can always try out technical metal, fusion, avantgarde rock/metal, prog, industrial, etc., if you're tired of the radio scene. some notable artists you can check out -

canvas solaris, coprofago, upsilon acrux, gordian knot, maudlin of the well, kayo dot, ephel duath, spastic ink, watchtower, ayreon, porcupine tree, the tangent, pain of salvation, conception, ark, threshold, planet x, soul sirkus, zero hour, andromeda, control denied, frantic bleep, earthtone 9, kong, mr. bungle, secret chiefs 3, idiot flesh, estradasphere, sir millard mulch, ruins, john zorn, sleepytime gorilla museum, atheist, cynic, behold the arctopus, architecture in helsinki, tortoise, trevor dunn's trio-convulsant, ozric tentacles, primus, slint, gastr del sol, don caballero, throbbing gristle, coil, skinny puppy, front line assembly, the apex theory, dredg, muse, refused, the mercury program, the swords project, thrice, toadies, cab, neurosis, al di meola, 3, the mahavishnu orchestra, weather report, chevelle, the mars volta, hiromi, king's x, death, arcturus, OSI, kino, circus maximus, evergrey..

i could keep going for a while, but i have no idea what you would or would not like. rock/metal is a pretty broad thing.

one album that i can absolutely recommend is Ephel Duath - Painter's Palette. if you ever thought that the Dillinger Escape Plan would be 200% cooler if they focused more on the jazz end of their sonic spectrum and toned down the vocals a bit, you will adore this offering from one of Italy's greatest prog/tech metal groups. don't get their first album though, the band has an almost completely different lineup, and the music isn't anywhere as interesting as on Painter's Palette.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
you can always try out technical metal, fusion, avantgarde rock/metal, prog, industrial, etc., if you're tired of the radio scene. some notable artists you can check out -

canvas solaris, coprofago, upsilon acrux, gordian knot, maudlin of the well, kayo dot, ephel duath, spastic ink, watchtower, ayreon, porcupine tree, the tangent, pain of salvation, conception, ark, threshold, planet x, soul sirkus, zero hour, andromeda, control denied, frantic bleep, earthtone 9, kong, mr. bungle, secret chiefs 3, idiot flesh, estradasphere, sir millard mulch, ruins, john zorn, sleepytime gorilla museum, atheist, cynic, behold the arctopus, architecture in helsinki, tortoise, trevor dunn's trio-convulsant, ozric tentacles, primus, slint, gastr del sol, don caballero, throbbing gristle, coil, skinny puppy, front line assembly, the apex theory, dredg, muse, refused, the mercury program, the swords project, thrice, toadies, cab, neurosis, al di meola, 3, the mahavishnu orchestra, weather report, chevelle, the mars volta, hiromi, king's x, death, arcturus, OSI, kino, circus maximus, evergrey..

i could keep going for a while, but i have no idea what you would or would not like. rock/metal is a pretty broad thing.

one album that i can absolutely recommend is Ephel Duath - Painter's Palette. if you ever thought that the Dillinger Escape Plan would be 200% cooler if they focused more on the jazz end of their sonic spectrum and toned down the vocals a bit, you will adore this offering from one of Italy's greatest prog/tech metal groups. don't get their first album though, the band has an almost completely different lineup, and the music isn't anywhere as interesting as on Painter's Palette.

Is there any sites where I can hear some song samples of Ephel Duath?

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 18
also, if you have ANY interest in jam bands or psychedelic rock/fusion.. it's really a necessity that you check out Ozric Tentacles. they are simply great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back