I drove my Koss from the AMPS speaker out!
Sep 4, 2004 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
well,i made my own DIY cable and hooked my modded Koss KTX Pros to the (crap CSW computer speaker sets speaker out,3W each channel),and what i noticed was the IMMENSE amount of detail that was being given out.i played music through this babies for about half an hour and didnt notice any funny smell or something while they were blastint out !.
But there was a lot of hiss (probably because of the crap DAC).
Now should i connect my headphones to my Panasonic 50W RMS each Receiver ? These are powered by the TI5112 or so AMPS with 96db Dynamic Range and 52W RMS at 0.2%THD.

Should I ???

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 22
Koss earphones have... about 0.1w peak power capacity?

You'd blow them before you'd even gotten off of the bottom of the dial...

Definetly not advisable

Sep 4, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 22
Whahaha. That is hilarious. I would never do that. That would just ruin my headphones.
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 22
try that and find out yourself
biggrin.gif

if you wanna try it on your receiver, play 1kHz sinewave from your computer, connect AC voltmeter on the outputs of your amp and carefully set the volume so that it gives you 1V, now you can connect your phones safely..

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 22
The coils in the speakers will melt and split in 2. Sometimes the epoxy on the coils can heat up and melt off then the coils short and cause the coils to change impedance this can hurt the amp. They could smoke, when the coils short the speaker just goes dead.

Another thing ive seen is the coils heat up and the epoxy melts then the coils drag on the magnet and it sounds really bad. The sound isnt as tight and clean. You can push on the cone (larger speakers like a woofer) you can feel the coils dragging, it feels gritty.

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 22
depending on the impedence of your headphones, it might not hurt them at all. consider that the 50rms is at say, 4 ohms, and you 1/2 the power as you double impedence... so at 64+ohms its not much power at all.

Sep 4, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
try that and find out yourself
biggrin.gif

if you wanna try it on your receiver, play 1kHz sinewave from your computer, connect AC voltmeter on the outputs of your amp and carefully set the volume so that it gives you 1V, now you can connect your phones safely..

a true square wave is guaranteed to permanently damage any speaker/headphone

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
a true square wave is guaranteed to permanently damage any speaker/headphone

At a hojillion decibels, sure, but I don't see how a 1k sine at listening volume could possibly hurt the headphones.

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 22
Back in my newbie audiophile wannabe days, I was a fool and plugged my Portapros into my dad's tuner amp @ 2/3rds volume... needless to say, I blew the left driver and possibly damaged the right in an instant lol. Luckily, I was able to exchange them for a new pair at Best Buy. My excuse was that they weren't working well when I first tried them. That incident just goes to show you how damn sensitive PPs are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back