I dropped my 650's.
Feb 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

owenhan

100+ Head-Fier
They fell from a height of a little under a meter onto a hard wooden floor with enough force to push the headband back to the shortest length on both sides. I'm just worried that they may be damaged in some way but they look and sound fine.

So I'm wondering how well built the 650's are and whether they're able to withstand abuse. Mine should be ok right...

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, common sense tells that if they seem and sound fine, they´re good for now. Nothing can tell if there´s some internal damage though, which can show up later. = /

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 17
Headphones are pretty simple devices, not a whole on the inside. So if they appear fine and you hear no rattles and they sound fine then most likely nothing is wrong with them.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 17
You can disassemble the HD650s to examine their insides. Pull off the pads, carefully pry off the grills (or at least peer through the grills with a flashlight), etc., and look for any signs of cracks.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Any damage to "internal parts" would either be the cable leads separating or the driver tearing in some way. Both of those seem very unlikely and you would hear their effects. If teh plastic cracks, well, that will not affect the sound unless its some huge fissure.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 17
I have a pair of 650s which I must admit I've handled carelessly at least once. Maybe twice. They stood up well and are in perfect working order.

It seems that if the cups were pushed into the headband, they may have landed on their bottoms where the Y cable connects to the cups. If the connectors seem a bit too loose after the bump, you can simply order another cable. One of Sennheiser's strengths is the modularity of their design.

I don't suspect you'll have any problems, though. The headband probably absorbed most of the shock and their build quality's very tight.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm pretty sure if they sound fine and look fine, they will be ok. If something was dislodged inside (like the drivers), I would imagine you would be able to hear this.
smily_headphones1.gif
Happy listening.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 17
its fine, I one stepped on my HD595 and it still working perfectly fine. I also once dragged my shure se 210 around the school hallway because it fell out of my hallway and its still working perfectly fine right now.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 17
They'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks a lot for the reassurance guys, I can rest easy now. I think the risk of me destroying my 650s in the process of disassembling them really outweighs the benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back