I don't understand what I'm doing wrong if the Dunu sa6 MK2 sounds better than my Thieaudio Monarch MK2
Nov 11, 2023 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Methos777

New Head-Fier
image0.jpeg

I'm sure I'm going to get some people that attack me but I assure you I'm not trying to start fires. I just trying to find out why I'm getting better sound imaging, bass, and overall more defined music out of the Dunu SA6 MK2 over my Monarch MK2. Yes, I'm aware that the Dunu is easier to drive which accounts for the volume power level but I have addressed that and my Thieaudio still comes up short against the Sa6 Mk2. For a $1000 IEM that a lot of people swear by, I have to believe I'm missing something. Got both of them at the same time and planned on keeping one of them but wasn't sure about the Fit of both. However, what I wasn't expecting was that the fit wasn't going to be the issue between them, it would be sound. I fully expected the Monarch MK2 to be better than the Dunu but it isn't. Maybe I need to give it more time but I'm truly wondering if others have found this to be the case?

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm assuming you've tried tip rolling the MK2? It's just possible you prefer the Dunu over it, nothing wrong with that. I enjoy some $500 iems more than $1500 ones.

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 19
You describe better sound imaging, bass and details in SA6 Mk2 compared to Monarch Mk2.
SA6 Mk2 has almost no pinna gain, which often creates bigger soundstage by pushing certain things into the background (female vocals for example). Someone people prefer that. They also have more midbass and monarch's bass is known to be a bit pillowy. Seems you also prefer a little bit of a boost in upper treble, so you percieve better details compared to monarchs.

Honestly, you just prefer one sound signature over another. I recommend you try 64 Audio U12t at some point.

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 19
You describe better sound imaging, bass and details in SA6 Mk2 compared to Monarch Mk2.
SA6 Mk2 has almost no pinna gain, which often creates bigger soundstage by pushing certain things into the background (female vocals for example). Someone people prefer that. They also have more midbass and monarch's bass is known to be a bit pillowy. Seems you also prefer a little bit of a boost in upper treble, so you percieve better details compared to monarchs.

Honestly, you just prefer one sound signature over another. I recommend you try 64 Audio U12t at some point.
Thanks so much for explaining my confusion. Also thanks for the suggestion( and being kind)... although I can't wear U12t's because they have no venting.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for being kind and even giving me a response without judgement ( it is rare in forums).
Heh, this is a pretty nice forum overall, and you approached things very humbly, rather than aggressively. I had the opposite experience where I really preferred the monarchs, but that is just my preference. It could also be that because they're easier to drive, one iem is matching your source much better. Bottom line is if you prefer the less expensive iem take the win! :)

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 19
Ahh, that explains it. I was going to buy the Thieaudio Monarch MK3, but you have proven my theory that the younger and therefore less experienced a company is the more their headphones sound bad or underdeveloped, superficial. I'm not buyin' the Dunu either since the nearly 100 year old Beyerdynamic experience of headphone development will mean buying the Beyerdynamic Xelento 2 is a no brainer... Terrible, just terrible.

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Heh, this is a pretty nice forum overall, and you approached things very humbly, rather than aggressively. I had the opposite experience where I really preferred the monarchs, but that is just my preference. It could also be that because they're easier to drive, one iem is matching your source much better. Bottom line is if you prefer the less expensive iem take the win

I'm assuming you've tried tip rolling the MK2? It's just possible you prefer the Dunu over it, nothing wrong with that. I enjoy some $500 iems more than $1500 ones.
Ok.. I tried tip rolling but only with a few and nothing changed. However, last night I put on my Azla tips for the Monarch MK2 and finally things kicked in for the Monarch. You were right ..the tips again came to the rescue. I am finally getting the sound I expected from the Monarch Mk2's. But of course the Dunu sa6 Mk2 held its own still, but yes the Monarch Mk2 is just a better performer and it's showing it now. I didn't think to keep trying tips after I used all the ones that came with it and even my favorite Spring tips. "All is Right with the World again, Order is re-established". Still have to give a lot credit to Dunu Sa6 MK2 for punching well above its weight class.

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Ahh, that explains it. I was going to buy the Thieaudio Monarch MK3, but you have proven my theory that the younger and therefore less experienced a company is the more their headphones sound bad or underdeveloped, superficial. I'm not buyin' the Dunu either since the nearly 100 year old Beyerdynamic experience of headphone development will mean buying the Beyerdynamic Xelento 2 is a no brainer... Terrible, just terrible.
I'm sorry if I led you wrong. It turned out to be my tips. Once I used the Azla Tips for my ears, the Monarch took the lead immediately. However I do understand how you feel about basically the "law of diminishing returns" and how hard it is to judge just where true limits exist. I hope my ignorance didn't make things worst. If so I apologize.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 19
Ok.. I tried tip rolling but only with a few and nothing changed. However, last night I put on my Azla tips for the Monarch MK2 and finally things kicked in for the Monarch. You were right ..the tips again came to the rescue. I am finally getting the sound I expected from the Monarch Mk2's. But of course the Dunu sa6 Mk2 held its own still, but yes the Monarch Mk2 is just a better performer and it's showing it now. I didn't think to keep trying tips after I used all the ones that came with it and even my favorite Spring tips. "All is Right with the World again, Order is re-established". Still have to give a lot credit to Dunu Sa6 MK2 for punching well above its weight class.

You gotta roll man. There are some iems I've owned where one tip was magically better than everything else.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 19
What a delightful discussion!

Yup, I'm also a big fan of the SA6 MK2 when compared to a bunch of more expensive and lauded BA-led sets.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 19
although I can't wear U12t's because they have no venting.
U12t (or the entire current line up of 64 audio, to be precise) has the most venting in the market.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 19
Not a surprise at all. The SA6 are that good while the Monarch are the usual overdone ChiFi tuning we’ve heard a million times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back