I don't understand E-MU's clip indicators.
Feb 26, 2005 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
So I just bought an E-MU 0404 and I find it easy to use (using 44.1 -10, hopefully that's truly giving me an undistorted and not eq'ed output), but the clip indicators are kinda confusing. Why are they always red, even if I lower the volume? I don't understand how it works.

Thanks,
Tarso

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, if clipping is detected, they'll light up red. But unless you click them, they'll stay red, regardless of if there's clipping or not.

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Also note that lowering the volume in PatchMix won't affect the clipping on sound entering each strip. For those, you need to lower the volume at the source (i.e. in the program).

Feb 27, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 9
if you are using wave out, set wave volume not more than 50%.
main mix set to 2.4 and you will most likely not hear any clipping due to emu anymore. thats my setting anyway. (unequalized)

Feb 27, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 9
A simple -2 DB volume setting in foobar will suffice.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 9
I needed to lower volume to -8.0 in foobar not to get clipping in asio input
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRaven
Also note that lowering the volume in PatchMix won't affect the clipping on sound entering each strip. For those, you need to lower the volume at the source (i.e. in the program).

Why is that? I usually set my main mix in Patchmix to -1.5. So far no red light.

Feb 27, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 9
If you're playing back non-synthesized files (i.e. not MIDI) and aren't boosting the volume in software then the clipping is likely in the audio file itself, and by lowering the volume you're only lowering the SNR (with the EMU 0404 you can lower it by up to about 20 dB before you go below the SNR of CDs) and preventing the clipping indicator from lighting up.

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 9
What I do is I just have the directsound and the ASIO panels and then I throw a trim_pot at the very top of each one and set it to -10dB

That way none of the meters ever clip and I can run my app's volume levels at 100% w/o clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back