I don't think I'm getting my money's worth out of my current setup
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

qman5

New Head-Fier
My setup is currently as follows:

Audigy 2 ZS --> Original Master --> HD650

I can swap my A900s in and not really notice a big change. I'm not sure if it's my headphones, amp or sound card. Or maybe I just can't hear the difference. I have the impression that I should be getting more out of my 650s in the sense that the sound should be fuller and more realistic. Currently, it's good. But I don't find it groundbreaking.

I was thinking that the first place to go would be the source. I know there are better options out there but I'm more interested in whether the upgrade cost is worth the (hopefully large) improvement. Should I consider using a USB DAC? Or should I play it simple, get a new soundcard and go from there? Maybe I should scrap the amp and try the Heed Canamp?

I wish I had the funds to experiment and local hookups, but unfortunately my wallet doesn't permit it nor my location.

This is probably getting off topic and on the wrong forum, but my Original Master isn't silent past the 11 o'clock position. There's an audible buzz that's only present when hooked up to a source. I suspected it was ground loop, but it's present in no matter what outlet (tried in different houses) I try. Any suggestions, or should I move this over to the amps forum?

Thanks guys.

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 15
Dump your Audigy. It's garbage. Get an ESI Juli@ for $130. The analog output is exceptional, better than the DAC quality in my Opera.

Just make sure your computer has clean power going to it or you might here some clicking at very loud volumes when no music is playing (but is not noticeable when the music is playing). If you have a power conditioner for your computer, you should have no problem. And it doesn't affect all computers, just happens to occur on my Dell.

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 15
What's your budget? Here are a few recommendations in the $200 and under category:

internal
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude
E-MU 1212M

external
E-MU 0404 USB
KECES DA-151 (USB)
Zhaolu D2.5A, D2.5C

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qman5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can swap my A900s in and not really notice a big change.

I don't think you're likely to hear big differences between sources and amps if you don't hear much difference between headphones, especially when their design is that different.
Now, if you had really bad components, yeah, it would make sense to upgrade but then you wouldn't need to break the bank. But I wouldn't bother if I had a halfway decent chain.
EDIT: I bought an M-Audio Sonica for about $15 (used of course) for example.

If you only got the toys recently and you've got no experience with similar stuff, I would simply listen to them and be patient: maybe you will begin to hear the difference after a while. I needed some time myself.
If you need to tweak something, try EQ, virtualisation and such. There's no need to spend money to hear a different sound.

Of course, you could also recoup some of your expense by getting cheaper headphones and selling the expensive stuff.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 15
I'll definitely give the headphones another listen before deciding if the purchase of a DAC is worth it. I'd like to forego the soundcard since portability (and free PCI slots) could be an issue in the future.

I'm willing to spend around $300 for the DAC, preferably less if the difference is going to be slight.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 15
eek.gif
the audigy is the weak link for sure. yuck dont spend money on a new dac before getting a new soundcard

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 15
being a person who at one time was restricted by budget (was a student), i would recommend the Total Bithead which is both a DAC and amp, and costs $150. you plug it into your computer via USB and it'll bypass your soundcard. here's the link: Total Bithead

i also recommend using foobar as your software player and using ASIO as your output.

hope that helps.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 15
The Original Master amp is a very nice amp - as in competes with desktop / home amps costing between $300-$500 and is in a completely different class than the HeadRoom bithead.

Change the source. A Keres usb dac, for example, is about $200 - or go get a monica USB dac (one went used here for less than that a couple of weeks ago) - heck even and EMU 0404 USB can be had for $150.

Doing some searching, you'll find that the source your using is considered a poor source given the level of the cans and amp you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back