I don't think I'm buying anything from Ultimate Ears again.
Jan 13, 2007 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
So I had a pair of Super.Fi 5 Pros that I got for Christmas (a little early Christmas Gift from my dad). And while I doing the FS Mod to test it out, the housing came apart from the driver where it's not supposed to actually come apart. So I did what anyone else would've done when you've only had the thing for 2 weeks.

I called the Ultimate Ears customer service to get an RMA.

The representative was pleasant, and advised me that because of the driver falling out of the housing, that I would be receiving a new pair of Super.Fi 5 Pro's, specifically because it could not be fixed. I prepared the package to the letter on UE's website, and got the reciept from my dad (luckily he still had it).

So I sent them out VIA Fed- Ex, and UE recieved them a couple days after Christmas. I waited, knowing that the representative would probably be on vacation for the holidays. I e-mailed UE on January 4th, asking for a status update on the RMA, and the representative I spoke to earlier stated that they would send them out the following Monday...that's this week.

So I waited patiently for them, and recieved them when I got home this evening. I opened up the package and there was a brand spanking new package of black Super.Fi 5 Pro's. New cable, new tips, new everything...at least that's what I thought at first.

I noticed that there was a lack of glue on the right driver, the same driver that caused me problems in the first place. So I rushed up stairs, got my portable setup and plugged in the headphones and...

The right driver was not working. At all. Not even a sound. I looked at the driver again, and VERY gently pulled it apart, and it came right off. When I had shipped it to the UE, the wires almost looked twisted and very ragged. But when I looked at the wiring on the driver it looks like someone had tried to solder the wires back into the driver to try and fix them, and then repackaged them as new IEM's. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed. I think I'd be even more pissed if I hadn't received them as a present.

I sent an e-mail to UE stating exactly what happened(even keeled, I've been in customer service before, so I didn't want to be a jerk), as in this post. I think I'm even more angry if it was just a manufacturing defect, but to basically get the same drivers, stating that I would get new one's because they can't be repaired, then getting drivers that were "repaired"...well I'm not a happy camper.

Hopefully it's just a huge mix-up, and they'll correct their mistake. Of course, if they ask me to send it back, I might blow a fuse.

Luckily, my new IEM's are probably going to be Westone's, especially with the abysmal service I got from Ultimate Ears.

-The Not So Grinman

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
eek.gif

Wow that really sucks
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Ooh.. UE tried pulling some shady moves on you. Sneaky bastards, no way I'm buying from them in the future.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Hopefully it's a mix-up, or just one of their workers doing shoddy "repair" work. Best to wait for them to get back to you before everyone boycotts UE. The head-fi community must represent at least a worthwhile segment of their consumer base, so at the very least, I don't think they'd let this slide without at least correcting the situation.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 10
Wow...that's really shady. I've always heard great things about UE's customer service and their replacement of the broken housing (which is a widespread problem) but this changes things. Hmm...
blink.gif
blink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 10
I wouldn't be so quick to slam UE.

They have good customer service but I don't make use of it because I live in Canada. Basically when my SF5Ps came apart I superglued them back. They did however send me a new v2 cable for free when my v1 cable died.

Anyhow, I am probably not buying UE again just due to the design issue of these phones (we'll see about the TripleFi.Pro as well) as well as just esthetics when they sit in the ears.

Personally, I am a Shure convert and I have been very happy with my E500s.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 10
There must've been a mixup somewhere because in November 2006 i purchased a pair of UE10Pro's and accidently had them crushed the same night i picked them up(not gonna go into detail on how, you can check my post/thread history as i made a thread on it) and they replaced mine for US$300 when they could've charged me full price. I don't know about you guys, but UE's customer service can't be really that bad.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, someone screw up somewhere, and like I said, it's not like they sent me back what I had sent them, the gave me back a SEALED package, just as if I had bought it at a store, new tips, new cable, new case...yet, not new drivers. I wonder if they sent me a refurbished package or something.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, someone screw up somewhere, and like I said, it's not like they sent me back what I had sent them, the gave me back a SEALED package, just as if I had bought it at a store, new tips, new cable, new case...yet, not new drivers. I wonder if they sent me a refurbished package or something.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

You know it's very possible that it was an honest mistake. I'm not defending UE, but I think you should give them a chance to fix their mistake before you bash them. I agree that they should send you out a replacement instead of waiting for you to ship those back (again), and I would ask them to do that for you when you speak with them. If they refuse, that's when I would start bitching.

These companies live and die by forums like this, and they know it. It's not like they're running huge adverts all over T.V. every day. A large part of their business is based on word of mouth, good reviews from critics, etc.

Granted I think Ultimate Ears has more quality issues than other competing companies, but I would give them a chance to let their C.S. work for you, and if it doesn't, then I think you would be within your right to slam them.

Though if their C.S. is going down the tubes, I think we all would like to know about it. I have read some other negative reviews recently about people's dealings with Ultimate Ears and I am wondering if this is becoming a trend with them. I really hope not because for what they charge for their products (which can essentially be made for pennies on the dollar after R&D is recuperated) they SHOULD have some of the best customer service anywhere. IEM's are like the SUVs of the car world, they're cheap to make and sell for a premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back