I don't listen to Country Music; Because.....
Jul 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 34
I don't listen to modern Pop-Country because I find it banal and formulaic, but I listen to what commonly gets termed "Alt. Country", as well as some traditional country and some well established country artists, who've had a long history and aren't too involved in the current mainstream Country scene.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 34
I hated country as a teenager. Mostly because that's what my parents/family listened to. I chose something they didn't like. Rock.

Now I've been thinking for myself for 35 years and my tastes have reverted to listening to what my family listened to as well. The reason I listen to it now is because it brings back good feelings from my youth. Funny, you rebel your youth away to become your parents when you mature.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an irrational hatred of "popular" country music--the obligatory twang, predictable lyrics, made for mass marketing appeal. IOW, not much different from Pop music. Something about so-called country music, however, is just more unbearable; it just seems so contrived.

I hate the twang. I'll listen to it if it doesn't have a twang.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't listen to modern Pop-Country because I find it banal and formulaic, but I listen to what commonly gets termed "Alt. Country", as well as some traditional country and some well established country artists, who've had a long history and aren't too involved in the current mainstream Country scene.

Exactly. What most folks think of as country music is the stuff you hear on the commercial radio stations, which tends to be bad in the same way top-ten pop tends to be bad. If you dive into it, there is a lot of really good stuff without even going into the the so-called alt.country genre. Guys like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, and Buck Owens, to name a few, are outstanding songwriters and/or musicians. Long before the days of alt.country, Buck Owens and Buddy Rich inspired a whole wave of California "country-rock" which helped inspire Gram Parsons, the Byrds, CCR, Flying Burrito Bros, New Rider's of the Purple Sage, and the Eagles.

There is great country music to be heard, but just like pop and rock, you have to dig a little deeper to find the good stuff. You can't rely on mainstream commercial radio to spoon feed you the gems.

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't listen to country because my grandma shot my dog and my wife left me.

biggrin.gif

Exactly.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 34
saying that country is bad cause you dont like modern, pop radio country is like saying you don't like rock music cause you don't like Creed (or whatever is bad modern pop rock to you i dont really know any bands to name here cause i don't listen radio
wink.gif
)

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't listen to country because my grandma shot my dog and my wife left me.

so you listen to hipity hop cause your homie shot your other homie and your ho left you?
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 34
I used to say that Country sucked. Then a friend of mine gave me some GOOD country music. It was nothing like what I expected. Now, Country music is one of my favorite types of music. It's an important link between jazz, folk, blues and popular music of the 20th century.

If you think you don't like Country music, you're probably just ignorant about it. Here's a hint... Country music pretty much no longer exists. What is called Country today isn't.

See ya
Steve

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 34
True, in the same way that jazz has evolved. The jazz of today is far removed from the classic jazz of the 1920s.
True, classic country (say from 1940-1970) is almost extinct, the newer brand being heavily influenced by rock and pop -- and that's a shame. A true American genre was once again destroyed by the back beat. The Invasion of the Music Snatchers.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 34
Today's country is about the most compressed music you can listen too.

It is awful...and it is almost computer generated as well. If a computer program could generate a script from a set of phrases then today's country is what this is.

These are two things I have against today's country.

But I really enjoy yesterday's country music.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #30 of 34
I went to see Ray Price perform at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace in Bakersfield. At the end of the show, he quieted the applause and said that he wanted to say something... He said, "I just want to let you know that old time country music isn't dead and gone. Radio was what turned its back on you, not us. We good old boys are still out there playing and singing the kind of music you want to hear."

He got a standing ovation for that.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back