I don't like surprises...
Aug 28, 2002 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
...at least not this kind: Information reached Munich, yesterday, that policemen are already ordered to guard U.S. military places in October. The conclusion also came with this information, but might be a rumour, nevertheless. As I'm not particularly fond of the thought, I'd like to know more in advance, at least. So did anyone else here gather anything that would also lead to the conclusion, that the next U.S. war will start soon?

Concerned greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 28, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
So did anyone else here gather anything that would also lead to the conclusion, that the next U.S. war will start soon?

Well, I think it´s about that time of year now.

Sorry about that.

Aug 28, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 8
lini, the US will invade Iraq at some point. I would be surprised if it as early as October, however -- I'd expect something more around next spring or late winter.

Do you know if Germany has the right to refuse the US use of its bases there to conduct a war against Iraq? I know our "allies" in the middle east can do that, but I think the situation is different in your guys' case since the bases are a result of the World War II occupation.

Another thing to consider is simply that US or German authorities got word of a terrorist plot or something.

kerleybonto

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 8
kerelybronto: I think there are contracts, that generally allow the use of these bases by the US unless there would be an UN resolution against a certain action. And yes, the bases are a remainder from the past WWII era - I had one in my neighbourhood for quite a few years. They even had a little Octoberfest of their own, which was open to the public. I liked it, but like many others this place is already reinhabited mostly by Germans, now. The world has changed a lot for us western Germans in the last years, but maybe also for the rest of the world...

And of course you're right: There could be a lot of explanations, if the basic information is true at all. But as I'm just about to make a business trip to the USA, "I'd like to know what's in the bush". (German idiom...
wink.gif
)

Oh - and btw, I've just read an interesting article on an Austrian newspaper site (www.derstandard.at), which seemed fairly intelligent. The essence was that the US should definitely try to convince Russia and China in the UN that a preemptive strike on Iraq is necessary, if they don't want to get into international trouble. I guess, the US have still failed yet to convince a great part of the rest of the world, that a war against Iraq would be justified. Some might see it as a desparate try to make sure that the US keep control over a good part of the oil reserves of the world... If you like other conspiracy theories, you could imagine a cunning plan of oil barons behind all this, as oil prices have already risen quite a bit because of the ongoing war rumours - just in time for the heating season... Well, I don't know - what I know, though, is that it's quite hard to find decent information these days...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Well - it really depends on whether the US recession is set to continue or get even deeper. If it's either, you can expect a war soon.

Aug 29, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 8
Oil barons? What are you trying to say about our Texan president and his oil chairman VP?
smily_headphones1.gif

In the US, the immenence of war has been an element in what has kept our economy unstable since last September. At this point only a war will bring any kind of stability to that.

In today's news China officially said that they are against US military force in Iraq. Not surprising. Russia is in financial agreements with Iraq so we can't really count on support there either. And that's only the beginning of the quicksand. Factor in the problems between Palestinians and Israel, between India and Pakistan, between China and Taiwan and the prominence of the Muslim faith throughout the middle east and you know we're in quite a situation.

That we've recently supplied weapons and/or training to any of the countries we'd now seek war with to use against people will now seek out as allies makes the situation even worse.

Whatever happens, this is not going to be pretty.

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Why not blame Canada? Like in the South Park movie hehe.

I'm going to bed now...

Biggie.

Aug 29, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 8
The U.S. should let Saddam start some big trouble and then they'll have all the support they need. Let him go against the kurds or Israel, just the beginning of a big agression, and then send the marines to Baghdad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back