I don't know which home theater setup to get... Please help.
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

David1521

New Head-Fier
Which should I get... keep in mind I currently own a 2016 4k samsung tv with an 8 year old relatively cheap but works great 400 dollar 7.1 surround sound setup using optical connections and speaker wire.

I came across a used 7.1 audio system, with the following specs

Option 1:

Denon AVR-1910 Receiver

Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer

Infinity Primus C25 Center Channel Speaker

(2) Infinity Primus 360 Tower Speakers

(2) Infinity Primus 160 Surround Speakers

(2) Infinity Primus 150 Shelf Speakers

They are 12 years old and appear to be in good condition I could get them for 550 dollars being sold locally.

And a used 5.0 audio system with the following specs

Option 2:

There's also another person selling

Pioneer receiver vsx 1020x

Bose speakers 201 v left and right speaker

301 v left and right speaker

Center sound bar ( 5 speakers total)

Home theatre power center Monster power hts 3500

Two speaker stands

For $650 being sold locally, I don't know how old they are but I know they're working and in good condition.

Is it worth it? I was thinking about spending about 3 grand on modern klipsch surround sound speaker set up and a modern receiver with 4k hdr support, but I could always just use optical connection if I went with one of these cheaper used units instead.

Option 3:

Onkyo TX-NR676 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver

(2) Klipsch RP-240S Reference Premiere Surround Speakers with Dual 4 inch Cerametallic Cone Woofers (Ebony Pair)

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-440C Surround Center Channel Home Speaker, Set of 1, Ebony

(2) Klipsch RP-260F Floorstanding Speaker - Ebony ( Single unit )

Klipsch RP-150M Bookshelf Speaker - Ebony (Pair)

VideoSecu One Pair of Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Bracket with Swivel and Tilt for Large Surrounding Sound Speakers MS56B 3LH

All on amazon for $3,501.87.

Which one of the cheaper units should get, or should I wait a few months and save up for the klipsch? Or if you have any other suggestions, please comment below.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Which should I get... keep in mind I currently own a 2016 4k samsung tv with an 8 year old relatively cheap but works great 400 dollar 7.1 surround sound setup using optical connections and speaker wire.

I came across a used 7.1 audio system, with the following specs

Option 1:
Denon AVR-1910 Receiver
Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer
Infinity Primus C25 Center Channel Speaker
(2) Infinity Primus 360 Tower Speakers
(2) Infinity Primus 160 Surround Speakers
(2) Infinity Primus 150 Shelf Speakers
They are 12 years old and appear to be in good condition I could get them for 550 dollars being sold locally.

And a used 5.0 audio system with the following specs

Option 2:
Pioneer receiver vsx 1020x
Bose speakers 201 v left and right speaker
301 v left and right speaker
Center sound bar ( 5 speakers total)
Home theatre power center Monster power hts 3500
Two speaker stands
For $650 being sold locally, I don't know how old they are but I know they're working and in good condition.

Is it worth it?

I'd get neither of those. They're worth it if you don't have a system at all and you'd want to get one up and running then upgrade over the next five years until you get a newer receiver last. Otherwise, there are key problems with those systems.

Option 1 : That receiver is 8 years old. I'm not even sure if it at least has HDMI1.3. HT receivers and Pre-Pro units get old real fast because of the connectivity options. Sure, it's working fine and the amp's not bad for an HT receiver, but then you hook up some sources and surrpise, some features don't work. This is why some people just use entry level receivers or a pre-pro (or the cheapest receiver with preamp outputs to get around the crappy amps that they tended to come with before). Speakers are great though.

Option 2 : That receiver is fairly recent but I wouldn't get those speakers. The 301s are good, but that soundbar used as a center channel is pretty much useless. For one, if it's a surround sound bar, only the center channel on it is used if it's used as a center. Second, it's not voice-matched to the 201 or 301. There is nothing more annoying than have a character walk around another and his voice sounds even slightly different when it comes from the either of the mains vs the center.

If you can stretch to a little over a thousand bucks, here's what I'd get that would last me a while.
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR6...533825&sr=1-8&keywords=Onkyo+network+receiver
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T...498534011&sr=1-3&keywords=Polk+Audio+speakers
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T...=1498534080&sr=8-4&keywords=Polk+Audio+center
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T...498534270&sr=1-2&keywords=Polk+Audio+speakers
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio...534672&sr=8-2&keywords=Dayton+Audio+subwoofer
Plus a few bucks for the mounting hardware for the standmounts (ie, stands or wall mount brackets)

I was thinking about spending about 3 grand on modern klipsch surround sound speaker set up and a modern receiver with 4k hdr support, but I could always just use optical connection if I went with one of these cheaper used units instead.

Option 3:

Onkyo TX-NR676 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver
(2) Klipsch RP-240S Reference Premiere Surround Speakers with Dual 4 inch Cerametallic Cone Woofers (Ebony Pair)
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-440C Surround Center Channel Home Speaker, Set of 1, Ebony
(2) Klipsch RP-260F Floorstanding Speaker - Ebony ( Single unit )
Klipsch RP-150M Bookshelf Speaker - Ebony (Pair)
VideoSecu One Pair of Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Bracket with Swivel and Tilt for Large Surrounding Sound Speakers MS56B 3LH

All on amazon for $3,501.87.

Which one of the cheaper units should get, or should I wait a few months and save up for the klipsch? Or if you have any other suggestions, please comment below.

I'd wait for the Klipsch, but get whatever receiver replaces the NR626 by the time you buy. If the price is the same as or just a little more than what you allocated for the NR626 then get the newer one.

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 5
The elitist prick in me just can't bring myself to use or recommend soundbars. Discrete, discrete, discrete all the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back