I don't know what to get to upgrade my computer audio
Dec 28, 2013 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya. I've got some fancy headphones now, but my source is still my motherboard's on-board sound. Surely I can do better! I have no idea what to get, though, like really no idea what my options even are. My computer is the only place I listen to music. I already have a headphone amp that gets the job done. Thanks for helping out a dope.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 5
What kind of headphones? Which amp?

Sounds like the only weak link left is a DAC (digital to analog converter). A couple choices are the Schiit Modi and the ODAC.

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 5
Yep I think you're right. Sounds like I'm just missing a DAC. I don't remember there being any DACs 10+ years ago, now they seem to be a new piece of the puzzle. So a DAC would take my crappy motherboard onboard sound and make it into something good? The Modi looks like a winner...weird question: does it come with all the needed cables? Thank you for the reply.

Got NAD Viso HP50 headphones (although I might send em back, not sure yet, would hate to do it.) and an old headsave classic v2 amp.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
  Yep I think you're right. Sounds like I'm just missing a DAC. I don't remember there being any DACs 10+ years ago, now they seem to be a new piece of the puzzle. So a DAC would take my crappy motherboard onboard sound and make it into something good? The Modi looks like a winner...weird question: does it come with all the needed cables? Thank you for the reply.

Got NAD Viso HP50 headphones (although I might send em back, not sure yet, would hate to do it.) and an old headsave classic v2 amp.

Doesn't come with any cables. Just get some decent RCA cables to connect the Modi to your amp. It completely bypasses your onboard sound by using the USB connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back