"I Don't Believe in ADD"
Mar 14, 2005 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
Recently, I heard someone say that they "didn't believe in ADD." Suprisingly, I've found that quite a few people harbor this belief! I realize that this is still a controversial topic, but I find it a bit irksome that some still maintain the outdated belief that people currently diagnosed with ADD (or ADHD) are simply highly distractable normal people with a poor work ethic and propensity towards hyperactive behavior. Modern science has acknowledged that ADD is a neurological disorder (not psychiatric) and that there are concrete differences between normal people and those diagnosed with ADD through PET scans. But alas, this is still a controversial issue to this day. I agree that it is likely overdiagnosed, but I don't believe that's a just reason not to acknowledge its existence.

So, I'm just curious, what are your opinions with regard to ADD?

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 23
I have ADHD, I know exactly what it is like to have it, and I completely believe it is real. One of the main reasons why I do not like to read from books is because of the effort I have to put into concentrating on them and not all the sounds around me. I try to pay attention, but sometimes I physically cannot. I used to blurt out ALL the time in school, much more than most kids. I was basically the stereotypical ADHD kid. I went to the doctor and learned how to control it, along with taking ritalin. I eventually learned how to control my hyperactivity and focus my attention on most things (reading books anywhere but libraries or my room is a challenge though). From my experience I have two observations:

1) People with ADD or ADHD, IMO, are much more likely to become audiophiles. And I am not talking about people that like music; I am talking about people who dissect it, analyze it, and see colors and pictures with it. My fiance never understands me when I tell her that
biggrin.gif

2) People who do not believe in ADD or ADHD obviously do not have it themselves or have a child with it, because it is very distinct from most "hyper" or "out to lunch" kids. It is real. You get to know some people very well, and you can point it out very easily.

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 23
I have ADHD and I very much know it's real. No, I never took ritalin or any of that other crap that parents automatically seem to give to their kids when they are slightly hyper, but I was diagnosed with it and I deal with its effects on a daily basis and likely will for the rest of my life. It's an inherited thing in my family, much like clinical depression is also inherent in much of my family. I believe ADD/ADHD are overdiagnosed and overmedicated and those who truly have it (not those who's parents mistake normal childhood hyperness for ADD) have to learn how to live with it. Those who don't believe in it just think that because they haven't experienced it then it must not exist.

And for any fellow Head-Fi'ers who have ADD or ADHD, you might find this page funny, especially since you can likely relate to much of it: http://www.fdisk.com/cgi-bin/add/youknow.pl
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
No, I never took ritalin or any of that other crap that parents automatically seem to give to their kids when they are slightly hyper...

I will give you that ADD is diagnosed like the cold, but for me, ritalin was very effective in helping me. I noticed the difference very quickly, and it allowed me to concentrate. I gradually was taken off of it, and I have not needed it since. Like I said, some things are harder than others to concentrate on given the surroundings, but like you said, it will always be there.

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 23
Modern science has acknowledged that ADD is a neurological disorder

this is a very dangerous line of thinking. many things are passed off as "modern science" to the general public as such, and you are supposed to simple accept it since you are told by "the scientists" who are obviously more intelligent than you, and more so: infallible

am i saying i don't believe in it? not in the least. on the ocntrary, mental illness anad neurobiology is my field. but, i do not have direct experience. asking me to believe on the grounds of "science says" is akin to a blind leap of faith

corralary: you must admit (now you say "i musn't do a ****ing thing you say", to which i respond "exactly true", but..) that there is a very real possibility for (in my opinion) massive over-diagnosie and over-medicating of said illness.

all to say: those who believe are those who know. the above posters, if indeed they have said disease, are the ones with the real knowledge; secondarily empirical testing. i digress, but i would like to say that "science" (which is a horribly corrupted word) relies far to little on the direct observation of the patient, and to an extent, overmuch on empirical data.

ps: this is a tad silly, but it proves my point: i remember now that i was prescribed ritalin at one point. i had the prescription on my wall for two years, then i tossed it. it was sort of a monument to over-medication. my overworked HMO physician (anyone guess what my prospecitve carreer is
smily_headphones1.gif
) had to offer "something" quickly to me in order to get to his next patient. i remember clearly him saying "well, this may turn a lightbulb on for you"

pps: i find this thread very intersting, most importantly from the perspective of those actually afflicted: thanks for sharing

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

I have ADHD and I very much know it's real. No, I never took ritalin or any of that other crap that parents automatically seem to give to their kids when they are slightly hyper, but I was diagnosed with it and I deal with its effects on a daily basis and likely will for the rest of my life. It's an inherited thing in my family, much like clinical depression is also inherent in much of my family. I believe ADD/ADHD are overdiagnosed and overmedicated and those who truly have it (not those who's parents mistake normal childhood hyperness for ADD) have to learn how to live with it. Those who don't believe in it just think that because they haven't experienced it then it must not exist.

And for any fellow Head-Fi'ers who have ADD or ADHD, you might find this page funny, especially since you can likely relate to much of it: http://www.fdisk.com/cgi-bin/add/youknow.pl
biggrin.gif

my question is: how do you know you have it? as opposed to someone who "doesn't?" empirical data? since you can't jump in my body and see what distracts me, how can you know you have a condition i do not?

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
my question is: how do you know you have it? as opposed to someone who "doesn't?" empirical data? since you can't jump in my body and see what distracts me, how can you know you have a condition i do not?

This makes little sense in the context of quoting my post. What are you implying or asking?
confused.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 23
There's a doctor Daniel G. Amen who specializes in head trauma cases, but also ADD/ADHD. He's got pretty conclusive SPECT brain spans for anyone who's a doubter.

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

This makes little sense in the context of quoting my post. What are you implying or asking?
confused.gif

i'm asking how you know that you have said condition? i'm not being sarcastic in the least. rather, i'm very interested to understand better what differentiates you from those without that you would diagnos yourself as such

Mar 14, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 23
It's silly not to believe in ADD. Everything in our bodies is controlled by chemicals in the brain, is it really that hard to believe that chemicals in the brain cause ADD behavior?

I think when people say they don't believe in it, they mean, or should mean, that it's being over diagnosed, which may very well be true.

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 23
The sad thing is that if I had been born in this day and age, I'd have been one of those undeserving kids who get stamped as being ADD or ADHD. I acted out excessively as a kid -- my school did "O, S, N" behavioral grading (outstanding, satisfactory, not satisfactory) and I'm pretty sure I hold the record for most Ns on one report card at my elementary school. I seem to recall that the overriding problem was boredom. Nowadays they undoubtedly would have tried to put me on Ritalin (though my mother's a health nut, she may not have allowed it). My kid brother was diagnosed as having ADD, and I don't think it's anything other than being disinterested in school.

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 23
I don't have a problem with ADD, ADHD, or Ritalin. Ritalin is not a behavioral drug, it's strictly a stimulant. For those that possess the neuralogical conditions that define ADD, a stimulant like Ritalin helps out a great deal (can only imagine what it does to people who are not ADD). My main fault with the whole ADD is that people rely on the medication to solve the problem. But it's a physical condition that does not diminish much with age, instead of trying to teach you how to deal with the condition, most people and doctors are happy just continuing the medication.

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 23
I think the disbelief (backlash) of the existence of ADD/HD is purely sociological. Think about it.

We're told every day, through many forms of media, that there's all these disorders and how xxx million people are diagnosed each and every year. It gets to you. Take depression for example.

Depression now just means 'sad' for all basic purposes. Those stupid ass commercials that have a 'checklist' of symptoms--what does that prove? That you're a normal human w/ emotional fluctuation? It's got everyone running to their doctor *telling* (not asking) that they are depressed and need meds.

Any cult/mass following will always produce naysayers and disbelievers. Sadly, only those truly afflicted will even know what it's like to live with it day-to-day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back