I didn't get in on the original HD 6XX drop, so instead I bought...(hint: philips, philips,fiio,brainwavz)
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Cruelhand Luke

Headphoneus Supremus
The announcement of another HD6XX drop made me take stock of my headphones and think about the purchases I've made since I missed out on the first drop. I did a little quick math and realized I had spent almost exactly what the current drop is going for.
After 6 months of various sales, impulse purchases, etc I wound up making my final headphone purchase right before the announcement of another HD6XX drop.
(last purchase for a while anyway...I am not going to curse myself with the famous last words 'never again' because that's a powerful incantation that can cause a binge to occur)

instead of Massdrop HD6XXs I got:
Philips Fidelio L2s with Brainwavz Hybrid Oval pads
Philips SHP9500s with NVX non-angled protein leather pads
Fiio A3 portable amp
$240.00
1-IMG_20170627_093006_885.jpg

I haven't heard the Sennheiser 6-- series of headphones, so I don't know for sure what I am giving up in terms of ultimate sound quality. However, based off of reading a lot of threads/reviews/etc, I think the difference between an L2 driven with a fiio A3 and the HD6XX falls into the land of diminishing returns. I'm asking myself in OVERALL sq quality how much better is the Senn...5-10%? This doesn't even address if my ears prefer the 'better' sound of the HD6xx.
That's the only area I feel is 'compromised', though. For my personal tastes and habits of use, I don't think I'd be as happy with the Senns. For me, the portability is a deciding factor; I'm not riding my bike to the supermarket with a set of big ole' open backed Sennheisers on my head & 6 feet of cable stuffed into my pocket.
I could go on, but my point is, when the question is, 'which headphones should I get?' or, 'which headphones are better?' the answer should be 'who is it for, where are you listening to your music, what kind of music, etc etc.
At the end of the day, I'm really glad I bought what I did and I am not even considering getting in on the current drop. (the L2s are on sale right now on Groupon for $120 btw)
I'm curious what other people did or would do instead of the Senns. Am I fooling myself thinking I'm better off with what I wound up getting? Is this a case of, 'if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with'?
dang, now I have to go listen to the song.... I'm not a big Stephen Stills fan, but man, the electric piano really comes alive on this track with the L2s....what was I talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back