I currently own the Phillips Fidelio X1. Do I need a desktop amp?
Jan 9, 2014 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ayvo

New Head-Fier
I am quite new to anything sound related, as it never really interested me too much in the past. But I finally decided to attempt to get something that was comfortable and sounded great, and I think they are very good. But I wonder if I can improve the sound with an amp? I enjoy listening to FLAC music, but I don't think my desktop can fully give me the sound. And if yes, I would love some recommendations, for not overly high prices, as I am a student, and my budget is not too great.

To sum it up shortly, can I improve my sound with a desktop amp, and if yes, is there a decently priced user friendly amp? (I've never used one before and I have no idea how they work..) 

I realize this is probably a very bad question to ask, but on a slightly unrelated note, is there a can I could've bought that would've been better for the price of the Fidelio X1's?

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 18
well it seems like you listen out of a computer to me so here's an explanation if that's the case.
The Fidelio X1 could use a desktop amp but before that, you need a dac or even if you don't want a amp i recommend that you get one. A dac would be connected to your computer's usb input. This will definitely improve sound. Now, amps, well I suggest not buy an amp at all if you consider buying some portable one. The X1 doesn't really need amplification but it could use the sound quality. You should really go to some hifi shop and try out thogh. What budget are you thinking by the way; need to know that to suggest anything.

Depends on what sound you want or the type of music you listen to.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 18
fiio dac/amp E10 or E7 or E17 can do the job.
or else Asus Xonar DG pci soundcard, if you use desktop computer.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 18
  well it seems like you listen out of a computer to me so here's an explanation if that's the case.
The Fidelio X1 could use a desktop amp but before that, you need a dac or even if you don't want a amp i recommend that you get one. A dac would be connected to your computer's usb input. This will definitely improve sound. Now, amps, well I suggest not buy an amp at all if you consider buying some portable one. The X1 doesn't really need amplification but it could use the sound quality. You should really go to some hifi shop and try out thogh. What budget are you thinking by the way; need to know that to suggest anything.

Depends on what sound you want or the type of music you listen to.

Okay. Thank you very much for explaining what a DAC is, as I actually had no idea. :)
I don't plan to use my headphones outside my home, so I will definitely not need a portable amp. I also have a decent amount of space for large amps, so the size is definitely not the problem.
My budget is 400 dollars at max, which would need to make the amp incredibly good, so I will be very reluctant to buy at that price. It would preferable if the amp is somewhere between 1-200 dollars.

The music I listen to is very mixed, so it's a problem to classify. I like some types of classical music, jazz (mostly Frank Sinatra, and The Ink Spots) rock ( and a lot of the subgenres, like metal) I can also listen to techno, and subgenres of techno. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. :)
  fiio dac/amp E10 or E7 or E17 can do the job.
or else Asus Xonar DG pci soundcard, if you use desktop computer.

I do use a desktop, but I would have no idea how to use the soundcard. Do I replace it with the one I already have?

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 18
For $200 you could get a shiit modi and magni (amp and DAC) or an Odac and O2 amp (similar stuff made by different people)

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 18
  Yeah, I fear I might have to go into some heavy price ranges to get a good amp and DAC combo. :/ Is it really that bad though? D:

The best advice I can give you is this:
If you're happy with your current set-up, stay that way and leave headfi for good. Leave now while you still can.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 18
My budget is 400 dollars at max, which would need to make the amp incredibly good, so I will be very reluctant to buy at that price.

^ what do you mean by that? I don't get it.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 18
  ^ what do you mean by that? I don't get it.

Apologies. I don't think I worded it correctly. If I bought something for 400 dollars, I would definitely like to hear an improvement in sound.  I realize 400 dollars is not that much when it comes to getting both a DAC and an amp (Ignorance at best from me)

I would still love to hear recommendations. :D I'll just save up for longer!

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 18
  Apologies. I don't think I worded it correctly. If I bought something for 400 dollars, I would definitely like to hear an improvement in sound.  I realize 400 dollars is not that much when it comes to getting both a DAC and an amp (Ignorance at best from me)

^lol I was like what ARE you trying to say.

well if you want something combined, look into the cambridge audio ones. They're decent sound at a decent price but I don't like them a lot because well, I just gotta have whatever I like lol.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 18
  For $200 you could get a shiit modi and magni (amp and DAC) or an Odac and O2 amp (similar stuff made by different people)

Another option in the $250-$350 range are Audio-GD's NFB-15.32 and NFB-11.32, the former being more musical and the latter more detailed... only the DAC sections are different.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 18

I realize this is probably a very bad question to ask, but on a slightly unrelated note, is there a can I could've bought that would've been better for the price of the Fidelio X1's?

That would depend on what you paid for them and on your personal subjective taste, but in general the answer is probably NO. Many believe the X1's are some of the best headphones available for the price, and are even better than many headphones that cost more. Plus they don't really need an amp, so you save money there as well. I think that a DAC would probably benefit you more than an amp would. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 18

My $27 FiiO E6 headphone amplifier could drive your 30-Ohm Philips Fidelio X1 headphones.
The Fiio E07K DAC/Amp, $90, would be a good value option, nice WM8740 DAC chip and it's amp is more then enough to drive the Fidelio.
Fiio E17 ($140) has the option of connecting to your computer S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) port, which would allow you to use whatever features your computer's on-board sound card offers (like headphone surround sound?)
The E17 also comes with a USB connection, which is basic stereo audio, and USB is a simple plug and plug option.

The Schiit Modi (DAC) with Schiit Magni (Amp) is a well liked combo ($200).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back